1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Rooting Dinc2 with 2.2.1

Discussion in 'Droid Incredible 2 Hacks' started by dopebox335, Sep 9, 2011.

1. dopebox335

dopebox335 New Member

I am new to the forum and have never rooted a phone. Im interested in rooting my Dinc 2 but all im finding is info for gingerbread 2.3. Can anyone help with a link?
  2. enlightened

enlightened Super Moderator

You're sure you're running an unrooted 2.2.1 phone? You should have gotten the OTA to 2.3 a while ago.
  3. dopebox335

dopebox335 New Member

I was told if I want to root, not to take the update. and yes Im sure I have 2.2.1. thanks for ur response
  4. ABQNM

ABQNM New Member

Up until a few weeks ago, we had no exploit that worked on gingerbread, so taking the update meant you couldn't root. Now the tool has been updated to only work with gingerbread. You will need to take the OTA or update manually and then you can root using the guide here.
  5. z_newb

z_newb New Member

can anyone actualy post something regarding topics

hi ive been searching for days now on how to root my dinc2 2.2.1 stock. every forum ive seen says do G.B... I DONT WANT GINGERBREAD!!!!!! SO.. if someone can actualy help me please and get me to where i can s-off and root my stock dinc2 please help me. thank-you. Z

P.S. ive installed hboot drivers and fast boot drivers because revolutionary reads my device but fails. so i know things are working. im not on verizon and unrevoked i cant find for this device it only shows dinc1 and evo and a few others. when i use it the program says vivwo or something isnt supported.. did we just bypass the 2.2.1 s-off and root...
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  6. ABQNM

ABQNM New Member

The tool used to only support froyo and now it only supports gingerbread. Period. You may be able to dig up an old unrevoked or something that may do it, but if you go to gb then root and s-off you can flash froyo back if you can find the files still.

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.
  7. z_newb

z_newb New Member

well respected. im on a flashed phone that ive done for cricket so im running cricket service not verizon. is there a possibility you have a link to the signed stock froyo rom that i can boot back to when done?
  8. ABQNM

ABQNM New Member

You will have to upgrade to GB, root and s-off, restore the froyo RUU and then re-install CWM and Root again. You will have S-off so that will not be that bad.

This thread has the link to the stock froyo RUU. Just stop after you flash the froyo RUU.
    http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?1766-How-to-restore-to-stock-from-AlpharevX-INCREDIBLE-2-(vivow)-ONLY

Then here you can find instructions to re-flash CWM and root. [Info] After Revolutionary: install Clockworkmod, root & more - xda-developers

I hope this will help you. I know it is not a full guide, but in the time I have that is the best I can do at the moment. Good luck!
  9. GreenAcid

GreenAcid New Member

Was there a fix for this? I Currently unrooted my DINC2, and Now I am getting "SERVICE UNAVAILABLE" when I try and do "Software Update" via my phone. Someone said download 2.3.4 from Verizon? But I can't find it.
  10. ABQNM

ABQNM New Member

There is an article and a link on Android Police from when the GB update came out. This is 2.3.3 so if you need to root it you will be able. [Download] Exclusive: Official HTC Droid Incredible 2 Gingerbread RUU 2.18.605.4 (Same As The Official Gingerbread OTA)
  11. Droid Firefighter

Droid Firefighter New Member

Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
    Deleted, see below.

This post is Incredible 2!
  12. Droid Firefighter

Droid Firefighter New Member

Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
    OOPS!! Wrong thread, SORRY!

This post is Incredible 2!
  13. ABQNM

ABQNM New Member

Yeah I saw your post after I posted on the two in the hacks sub-forum. Handy link to keep bookmarked. I give that one out constantly in different forums.
  14. GreenAcid

GreenAcid New Member

No, I Need to get 2.3.4...The software update part of the phone working. It says "SERVICE UNAVAILABLE. PLEASE TRY AGAIN WHEN SERVICE IS AVAILABLE"

Even when I go to Recovery via HBOOT, it starts downloading the Verizon Update, and then a Triangle with a ! comes up. I hit Vol Up and Power, and i get to Install from SD card, and it fails.
  15. ABQNM

ABQNM New Member

If you restored to 2.2.1, 2.3.3 is the update it is trying to download. 2.3.3 will download first. Then once on 2.3.3 your phone should find 2.3.4. If you are planning on rooting once you install the 2.3.3 update I linked, root it before updating to 2.3.4. Otherwise, once you install 2.3.3, you should be able to go check for update and the OTA will update to 2.3.4.
  16. GreenAcid

GreenAcid New Member

Alright bro. I hear what you're saying, but I don't think you're reading what I'm saying. lol

I'm not trying to re-root my phone. I'm trying to get it to STOCK 2.3.4 so I can sell it. I recently got a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and have no need for this

When I unrooted, I sucessfully flashed 2.2.1, and then Immidately went to "Software update" via HTC phone, in Settings. I keep getting SERVICE UNAVAILABLE

I Flashed to 2.3.3, just incase it'd pick it up there, and still SERVICE UNAVAILABLE..

Currently I Re-Rooted my phone and S is OFF. The first time I unrooted, I used some application on the market, and it did it. but I don't think I was supposed to do that. because NO WHERE else am I seeing anyone having this problem, when I Google "Unroot Revolutionary Incredible 2"
  17. ABQNM

ABQNM New Member

The 2.3.4 update was not a full install. It cannot be installed on its own. It has to be updated from 2.3.3. You also did not mention that you had already tried 2.3.3 and still could not update. You mentioned that you just got a Galaxy Nexus. Is the Incredible 2 deactivated? If so, it can't contact the network to download the update.

The reason I mentioned root is that you posted in another thread where the OP had said they were trying to re-root 2.2.1 and you said you were trying to do the same thing.

If you want help, I don't recommend telling me that I am not reading and then post in bold. That does not make me very inclined to want to help you.

Since you are rooted again, follow this guide to flash back to 2.2.1 and unroot and restore the bootloader - How to restore to stock from AlpharevX INCREDIBLE 2 (vivow) ONLY - RootzWikiThen, reboot to the stock recovery and perform a factory reset on the phone.

Install the 2.3.3 update from the link I provided in the other post.

Now you should be able to update to 2.3.4. Keep in mind that if the phone is not activated, it won't download the update, so if you are trying to do a software update on a deactivated phone, you can't. If you got it to 2.3.3, the next time it is activated it should download the update to 2.3.4.

Edit: IMPORTANT: Do not leave the PG32IMG.zip on your sd card and if you already have one there, go delete it before starting.
  18. GreenAcid

GreenAcid New Member

I'm sorry. My bad. I Just figured it was late, and you mighta missed what I wrote. so I bolded it just incase.

The only reason I posted in the other thread is because someone was having the same problem. But instead of wanting to Re-root, I don't. For that, I apologize.

No, The DINC2 is active. I ordered the SGN, and it's not here yet to activate. and I told them I'd like to keep the DINC2 on until it got here.

I Re-rooted, and I'm back to S-OFF with CLockwork mod back on. I'm not sure about the link you posted, because I used Revolutionary to S-OFF my phone.

I've found ----> [GUIDE] Unroot Revolutionary on the Incredible 2 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com which is what I'm currently going off of.

Should I do the link you suggested even though I S-OFF'd with Revo?
  19. ABQNM

ABQNM New Member

I had not seen that guide, but it is identical to the one at rootzwiki except it explains how to get to GB afterward. I would follow that one.

The fact that you said you use a market app to unroot the first time likely means that some piece of bloat or something was missing which prevented you from being able to take the OTA. If it is not 100% stock, it won't work.

That guide should do it for you just fine. I went through the same steps the other day (off the RootzWiki guide I posted) and then just flashed the update from the other link I gave you the other day without issue. The guide you linked includes all the same files, so just use it.

And just for reference, alpharevx is what it was called before they changed it to revolutionary when they released it for gingerbread.
  20. GreenAcid

GreenAcid New Member

adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/busybox

No such file or directory?
Search tags for this page

/data/cwpkg.zip

2.2.1 root on dinc2

can't open /data/cwpkg.zip

data/cwpkg.zip download file
droid htc dna updating software from verizon wireless
hacer root htc incredible 2 android 2.2.1
how to root htc incredible 2 o 2.2.1