Rooting d2 questions

km75

Reaction score
First off let me say I've read all the forums, used google for reference points etc etc. So in no way am I trying to use anyone bcuz I didn't want to put the time in. That being said I successfully rooted my d2. Im not looking for answers per se but I want some confirmation that I do indeed have the right answers.
1. After you root your phone you are still on the stock os if you haven't installed any roms? Therefore I should still receive ota update notification?
2. If you use z4root all you have to do is press the unroot selection to unroot the phone?
3. The purpose of a backup is so if you flash a rom you can go back to the stock rom?
This is what I have gleamed from my research so if I am mistaken on anything please let me know. Thanks a lot everyone

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Last edited:

chrstdvd

Reaction score
Yes to all three. Except nr 3. is also good if you download an app that screws up the phone. Then U can use your back up to get back without the SBF method.

Get Titanium Back up app to freeze ur bloat software and back up your apps. Get Droid2 bootstrapper to make the backups, (usually when my phone goes bonkers, I turn it off or pull the battery, and the phone boots back up into Bootstrapper where you have a choice to reboot or you can restore from one of your backups.)

A good link to help you decide what your can freeze and save ur battery life, and other apps to enhance your phone's performance is here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global/119001-my-battery-life-writeup.html
Good Luck!

OP
K

km75

Reaction score
Yes to all three. Except nr 3. is also good if you download an app that screws up the phone. Then U can use your back up to get back without the SBF method.

Get Titanium Back up app to freeze ur bloat software and back up your apps. Get Droid2 bootstrapper to make the backups, (usually when my phone goes bonkers, I turn it off or pull the battery, and the phone boots back up into Bootstrapper where you have a choice to reboot or you can restore from one of your backups.)

A good link to help you decide what your can freeze and save ur battery life, and other apps to enhance your phone's performance is here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global/119001-my-battery-life-writeup.html
Good Luck!

Downloaded titanium backup as soon as I rooted the phone. The bootstrapper, well I considered it but decided against it bcuz even though I know what it does I don't REALLY know what it does. Lol. There's a lot of good available info I'm just not too comfortable with it. Still trying to totally understand sbf. Mainly I rooted my phone for the free tethering and overclocking. If and when I decide to flash a new rom I know it will be needed. In the mean time I'm taking baby steps.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
"Still trying to totally understand sbf"

OK, SBF is all the files that are on your phone when you get it from Verizon. IOW SBF fiels when loaded on you phone using the software called RSD lite, bring your phone back to the way it was when you walked out the Verizon store, or from the FEDEX or UPS truck. When you SBF you are going back to the beginning.

Unlike the Blackberry platform, there is no computer program for the Android OS that you can use to go back. That is what the RSD Light/SBF program/files do for us who screw up our phones.

This is completely independent of using Z4 to root our phones and whatever we do after that. SBF lets us go back to the start before we rooted and screwed something up.

Droid 2 bootstrapper is the app we use to back up what we have on our phones just after we root, so we can restore more quickly than going thru the SBF method. The SBF method requires using RSD light, a program that takes the SBF files, the APK files that make your phone go back to the way it was the day you opened the box. But when you download the SBF files you get a huge file, with an RAR extension. You have to use another program on your computer, 7.zip to change the RAR file into an SBF file. Ha, Ha!

So long story short, if you back up your phone with Droid 2 bootstrapper, most of the time you can restore your phone without having to go thru the SBF bull s&^%.

SBF is a last ditch effort to get your phone to work.

Study and have fun. A day will come when you have your phone perfect and you will stop messing with it.

OP
K

km75

Reaction score
"Still trying to totally understand sbf"

OK, SBF is all the files that are on your phone when you get it from Verizon. IOW SBF fiels when loaded on you phone using the software called RSD lite, bring your phone back to the way it was when you walked out the Verizon store, or from the FEDEX or UPS truck. When you SBF you are going back to the beginning.

Unlike the Blackberry platform, there is no computer program for the Android OS that you can use to go back. That is what the RSD Light/SBF program/files do for us who screw up our phones.

This is completely independent of using Z4 to root our phones and whatever we do after that. SBF lets us go back to the start before we rooted and screwed something up.

Droid 2 bootstrapper is the app we use to back up what we have on our phones just after we root, so we can restore more quickly than going thru the SBF method. The SBF method requires using RSD light, a program that takes the SBF files, the APK files that make your phone go back to the way it was the day you opened the box. But when you download the SBF files you get a huge file, with an RAR extension. You have to use another program on your computer, 7.zip to change the RAR file into an SBF file. Ha, Ha!

So long story short, if you back up your phone with Droid 2 bootstrapper, most of the time you can restore your phone without having to go thru the SBF bull s&^%.

SBF is a last ditch effort to get your phone to work.

Study and have fun. A day will come when you have your phone perfect and you will stop messing with it.

Thanx for the enlightenment. Just finished backing up my phone with d2 bootstrapper. Created a backup file and put it on my computer as well. I'm not going to lie though. Between the warning saying "do not use this app if you aren't comfortable with sbf" and the crazy icon in all red I was intimidated to say the least. Your reply made me feel comfortable enough to give it a go. So for that my friend I say thanks a lot. Now I just have to pick a rom. I'm thinking the recently leaked gb rom!

chrstdvd

Reaction score
No don't do Gingerbread. The forum is full of possts where people are having tons of trouble with it. Give Liberty a shot. It has been around a while and most bugs are gone.
Note I never uses a ROM. Just read alot.

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
Rooted Gingerbread would be my suggestion, have had it since it was leaked and couldn't be happier. Just make sure to take your time with the install and not rush it.

Sent from a D2 runnin GB.

OP
K

km75

Reaction score
No don't do Gingerbread. The forum is full of possts where people are having tons of trouble with it. Give Liberty a shot. It has been around a while and most bugs are gone.
Note I never uses a ROM. Just read alot.

Yeah I have noticed that. I figure if I don't want to deal with the headaches I could just flash back to stock. Btw another thing about being rooted, no more ads. Gotta love it!

OP
K

km75

Reaction score
Rooted Gingerbread would be my suggestion, have had it since it was leaked and couldn't be happier. Just make sure to take your time with the install and not rush it.

Sent from a D2 runnin GB.

Could you possibly tell me what it is exactly that you like about it and what you don't? It would be very much appreciated.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree with the whole "don't do GB" thing going on here. I am running the leaked odexed GB and I can tell you this.....I was running Liberty when I flashed this and I am not going back. I love this.....fast, smooth, very stable for me, not a single issue that I have found yet.

And I use the @#$% out of my phone.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's that much better huh? My d2 running liberty is real fast. I may have to make the switch. I thought it was buggy though.

Sent from my Liberated DROID2. Support team Liberty!

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess everyone is having different experiences.....I believe in wiping which has saved me numerous hours of repairing. I also didn't do the deodexed which is where I seem to see the most issues. I got the bloatware but just froze it so it is of no concern.

Personally I love the GB. Yes it lacks theme's and ROM's ATM but I haven't found a ROM this stable since I rooted. But that is my experience.....maybe not everyone else's.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
nerdslogic;1505583 Personally I love the GB. Yes it lacks theme's and ROM's ATM but I haven't found a ROM this stable since I rooted. But that is my experience.....maybe not everyone else's.[/quote said:
Sounds promising.

Sent from my Liberated DROID2. Support team Liberty!

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do you know anyone out there that is running it that you could take it for a test drive with? The problem is if you flash it and decide you don't like it you have to SBF back.