ROOTING (come advise this nooby)

Discussion in 'Android Smart Phones' started by Joka, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Joka

Joka New Member

What I'm wondering IS, I've read a lot about how rooting boosts the potential of the phone sky high. I've not rooted my phone because I've only had it about a month, and its my first smartphone ever so I was busy being amazed, now I've got settled in and got a feel for everything, played with launchers, customizing apps, loads of games ect...but now I'm getting curious, so what I'm asking is what does rooting do? What's the ups and downs, why root? I'm not asking how, I'm asking what exactly does it do for me? Before I get into how to do it I wanna know is it worth it to me personally. A lot to read. Thanks ahead of time

662 JØ|{å 662 (LG Ally)
  2. cpjr

cpjr New Member

In my opinion there are no cons. Yeah people will say it voids your warranty but the fact is...Ive never seen a situation where it has because either the phone is dead and its undetectable or you can restore it to a non-rooted state before hand.

Now, the basic explanation is that rooting allows you read/write access to the file system, access you would normally not have.

This allows you to install and/or modify stuff that you normally couldnt. Like installing custom ROMs (re-written OS basically, which has alot of extra features including running much faster, etc.), overclocking for speed or to reduce battery usage, alot more customization in general. Being able to theme the phone, the list goes on.
  3. Es0ter1c

Es0ter1c New Member

Yeah, I am pretty noob myself, but rooting alone poses very little risk. It's what you do to the phone after rooting that presents the risk. Make sure you research ahead of time.

I recommend z4root for rooting.

ROMs are entirely a matter of personal preference and need, but I highly recommend darkslide 4.2. Its stable, complete and themed flawlessly.
    Unless, of course, you aren't rooting a droid x. XD

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  4. Joka

Joka New Member

My signature explains what I'm thinking of rooting =)
    Customization is my thing, I wanna change the colors of my notification bar, the works, I want a wacked out sick lookin phone, and more battery life and running faster will definitly be a plus

662 JØ|{å 662 (LG Ally)
Search tags for this page
the ups and downs for rooting
ups and downs about rooting

ups and downs of rooting

ups and downs of rooting android
ups and downs to rooting your phone
whats the ups and down in rooting andriod phone