Rooting and WiFi Tethering

jbdavies

Reaction score
Hello.

I have a friend who has a DX and we keep trying to get him to root it, but his only hesitation is because he read that when you root, and then connect your phone to your computer while doing the WiFi tethering, it disconnects the tethering or something along those lines.

Is this true? Was it ever true? Is there a work around if it is true?

Thank you for your help in trying to turn someone to the dark side of rooting.dancedroid

Jeremy

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont understand the question... Connecting the tether disconnects the tether?

I'm gonna go ahead and say whatever it is it's probably not true, or a nonissue if it is true.

OP
jbdavies

jbdavies

Reaction score
Haha. Sorry.

Ok, so (theoretically) he has his DX rooted. Has the WiFi hotspot enabled, but whenever he plugs in his DX to the computer via USB (for mass storage device or something like that), it disables the WiFi hotspot... thingy. lol

Does that make sense?

OP
jbdavies

jbdavies

Reaction score
That's what I said! I have no idea where he heard/read that... but whatever. Well sweet. Maybe I can convince him to root now. Haha.

Thanks. :)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
My gut instinct was to say that that is untrue. So I just tested it, and it is definitely untrue.

I usually charge the phone off the computer while I tether.

OP
jbdavies

jbdavies

Reaction score
Oh cool. Thanks for actually testing it.

My only guess... is that maybe someone had the WiFi app on their SD card... so whenever they connected to the computer it disabled it? I don't know.

rcjames

Reaction score
Hello.

I have a friend who has a DX and we keep trying to get him to root it, but his only hesitation is because he read that when you root, and then connect your phone to your computer while doing the WiFi tethering, it disconnects the tethering or something along those lines.

Is this true? Was it ever true? Is there a work around if it is true?

Thank you for your help in trying to turn someone to the dark side of rooting.dancedroid

Jeremy

What you do is root it. Google it. Then when its rooted then download this android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

Be aware android wifi tether do not work with droid x with android 2.2. Some kind of bug there that you don't get steady connection. I don't know what other tethering to use that is wireless that works.

jloya

Reaction score
careful when convincing your friends to root

I rooted a friends from and loaded a customer rom for her because she kept complaining about battery life etc....nothing followed but complaints and questions....ended up flashing it back to stock and saying here ya goo

but your friends theory or w/e you want to call it is incorrect

rcjames

Reaction score

I rooted a friends from and loaded a customer rom for her because she kept complaining about battery life etc....nothing followed but complaints and questions....ended up flashing it back to stock and saying here ya goo

Thats bull **** what you're saying. Rooting is very easy to do, and if something happend to the phone like if its bricked just flash 2.2 froyo ota full sbf file. Rooting on 2.1 is easier just click and root.

jloya

Reaction score

Thats bull **** what you're saying. Rooting is very easy to do, and if something happend to the phone like if its bricked just flash 2.2 froyo ota full sbf file. Rooting on 2.1 is easier just click and root.

whoaa buddy chill out, im saying that be careful when you root / load custom roms on other peoples phones as your opening a hole new door of questions and possibly complaints

obviously rooting is not that hard neither is loading custom ROMS...if you read that last part of my post i stated i ended up just flashing her back to 2.2 (with the SBF) due to the headache of questions it had caused, my previous post was just a warning/heads up

rcjames

Reaction score

whoaa buddy chill out, im saying that be careful when you root / load custom roms on other peoples phones as your opening a hole new door of questions and possibly complaints

obviously rooting is not that hard neither is loading custom ROMS...if you read that last part of my post i stated i ended up just flashing her back to 2.2 (with the SBF) due to the headache of questions it had caused, my previous post was just a warning/heads up

Well if things goes well there already a full 2.2 froyo ota sbf now.

lave1189

Reaction score
Be aware android wifi tether do not work with droid x with android 2.2. Some kind of bug there that you don't get steady connection. I don't know what other tethering to use that is wireless that works.

Alright I did the root after 2.2 and I can't get wireless tether to work. However, I did the same thing for my Dad's DX and his works great even better now than it did before 2.2. What's up with that?

rcjames

Reaction score

Alright I did the root after 2.2 and I can't get wireless tether to work. However, I did the same thing for my Dad's DX and his works great even better now than it did before 2.2. What's up with that?

Welcome to world of bugs. Nothing is perfect.

scubieman

Reaction score
I have a rooted stock 2.2 droid x. I use wifi tether and one other tether app that I can't remember. both i'm having horrible troubles connecting and takes forever and when it does connect after about 5 minutes it disconnects.