rooting and SD card

sundialman

Reaction score
Is it possible to have a rooted and nonrooted SD card and interchange them? Forgive my noobieness and I haven't rooted...yet. But realizing that I have accumulated SD cards from other phones I was wondering if this were doable.:)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
The SD card contains either the Nandroid or ClockWorkMod file that contains backups. Otherwise, it does not perform any function for rooting. I'm curious what advantage would be gained by having a two separate SD cards.

Mike

scoder

Reaction score
The SD card contains either the Nandroid or ClockWorkMod file that contains backups. Otherwise, it does not perform any function for rooting. I'm curious what advantage would be gained by having a two separate SD cards.

Mike

He's asking if he can pop in one SD card and be rooted, pop in another and be non-rooted.

Sundialman, that isn't possible. When you root, you are modifying the actual software on the phone's ROM (read-only memory) chips, not the SD card. The SD card on a Droid doesn't contain the system software at all, just music, pics, videos, application data, etc.
Do you have a reason for wanting to be able to interchange between root and non-root frequently?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

Mike

He's asking if he can pop in one SD card and be rooted, pop in another and be non-rooted.

Sundialman, that isn't possible. When you root, you are modifying the actual software on the phone's ROM (read-only memory) chips, not the SD card. The SD card on a Droid doesn't contain the system software at all, just music, pics, videos, application data, etc.
Do you have a reason for wanting to be able to interchange between root and non-root frequently?

Scoder, I understood what he is asking. My response indicated that the SD card contained the nandorid and or clockwork mod files that are used for backups. And that, otherwise, the SD card does not perform any function for rooting.

I believe we are on the same page!

Mike