rooting, all the kids are doing it. RESEARCH FIRST!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by irishdroid, Mar 16, 2010.

1. irishdroid

irishdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Let me start by saying I am in no way a programmer or could I be. It took me about a month of reading, thinking, reading some more and then saying, okay I'm going for it only to later say no I'm not. Once I did it I was very happy my Droid is now customized to what I want, its faster and just more fun. In the last 18 hours I have seen three threads with the word "Bricked" in it. Folks, please do your due diligence and take your time before you root. I used droidmod because it was easy to do. There are some really great roms to use just take baby steps and read up on the different roms before you take the time to root and end up with a bunch of problems. Happy Droiding.!

2. hydrogenman

hydrogenman Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You have to be a complete [EDIT] who can't follow simple directions to truly "brick" your droid...

And even if you brick it, you can recover it now.

No, what needs to happen is there needs to be an IQ test before you can view hacking forums

Mod Edit

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2010
  3. mikes

mikes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Research, indeed: root.

4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
  5. meishkov

meishkov Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yea I finally decided to do it about a week ago. I was a little worried at first. I just used Droidmod to do it since it's all automatic, just have to follow he directions on your screen basically, or the walkthrough online. I'm now running ChevyNo1's simply stunning, 2.0.2. Used the 5-slot kernel for overclocking, and a custom boot animation from Adamz's Droid customizer.

Once your rooted, of course do a nandroid backup immediately just in case. When I switched roms from Droidmod to smoked glass to now at simply stunning, make sure to get Titanium backup to backup everything, from all your apps, to text messages and call log history, absolutely everything I still have. Amazing. I lost my bookmarks from the browser but that's no problem.

When switching roms, I had one problem about titanium. Sometimes the permissions will get changed on titanium so it'll think you're not rooted when you actually are. There's a built-in problems button that fixes itself. For me I had to get the root explorer app off the market. There's a thread on these forums that will help you fix it in literally 30 seconds so that you'll be able to get all your apps and everything off titanium. Just search titanium backup I think it was, on the forum and it'll pop up.

Hopefully this clears up any concerns some un-rooted people might have. A lot of people helped me along the way, so I feel it's my duty to help the ones that might need it. Basically just follow he instructions on the rom page or whatever your trying to do will include instructions. Follow those and do a little research of your own and it'll be impossible for it not to work for you. Post any questions you might have...or doubts for that matter. Happy rooting.

6. bradford88

bradford88 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well everyone messes up actual linux when they first start too haha. there are better things to mod. Jailbreaking iphone for free apps was the way to go. Until i can do that with Droid, its not a big deal to me. Which if i'm not mistaken can be done without rooting (haven't researched it a lot yet as I just blasted over to the Verizon)

I'm still frickin happy that AT&T let me go after 6 months without an ETF :) haha

7. bradford88

bradford88 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also.. (appologies for double post)

against what i just said. I have considered rooting, but I am looking for one that by default looks like stock but just runs smoother. and has the animated wallpapers and crap.

lol jailbreaking haha

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  8. 19DroidRage84

19DroidRage84 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    go to alldroid.org there is a member boostdscoob that has taken everything and put it together with a stock look. I dont use it but have tested it and it is pretty stable.