Rooting a Verizon Galaxy Nexus

tomhusband

Reaction score
So this might be a dumb one but I'm new to this. I've been reading about rooting. Besides not being sure of the advantages if I root it what happens to my Verizon account after all is said and done? When you root the device isn't everything wiped cleaned? How would I hook up with Verizon again?

Thanks,

Tom Husband

hondaguy520

Reaction score
Data is wiped clean.... your 4g sim card is still activated and everything is fine. Just sign in to Google and enjoy your nexus . I rooted mine to instal the unofficial 4.0.4 update. Get wifi tether for free and to use Google wallet

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
T

tomhusband

Reaction score
The sim card! I forgot about that. Google Wallet becomes available on a rooted phone? That's cool. What's special about the 4.0.4 update?

Thanks for the quick reply.

hondaguy520

Reaction score
if youre unlocked you can install google wallet, you can find the apk online ... and everyone was saying 4.0.4 fixed some signal issues...never gave my phone a chance to have issues just put that on there and ran with it

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
When we say "wipe" on Android it pretty much means returning it to factory settings. It will still be able to connect to Verizon's network as long as you have a sim card, no matter how many times you wipe the phone.

As for 4.0.4, it fixes a bunch of little bugs and overall makes it run smoother. I have no experience with 4.0.4 so I can't vouch for any differences, but mainly people upgraded to for better signal, something I don't have to deal with. There are other benefits, but can't remember them off the top of my head. I see you're from San Jose so you shouldn't have to worry about bad signal, as long as your Nexus is a good one.

Capone76

Reaction score
Talked to a verizon rep today and he assured me 4.0.4 is not going to help with signal. He said he is a GNex owner himself. I don't know,maybe he don't know what he talking about. I sure would like a signal fix though. All stock here and still love this phone. Tethered to my TP201

Capone76

Reaction score
Maybe I did get a bad Nexus as far as my signal though. Good about town, horrible at home. 4g tower 1 mile from house. Any suggestions?

hondaguy520

Reaction score
Few options.... try unlocking rooting and installing 4.0.4 because in my experience Verizon reps have no clue what they are talking about.... use manufacturers warranty to get a née phone.... or wait for official 4.0.4.....

Sorry bout the phone

Sent from my Googlaxus using DroidForums

Capone76

Reaction score
Yeah that's my experience with reps from verizon. Sometime you get a good one in customer service though. Best Buy said they will only give me a refurb.

hondaguy520

Reaction score
Oh my gosh I hate that. You bought a new phone... it malfunctions ... you should get a NEW phone. Not a refurb.

Capone76

Reaction score
Maybe if I just go into Best Buy and express I'm getting hosed with a refurb and demand and new replacement they'd be cool. Wishful thinking. Signals good everywhere but home. Maybe its my house?

hondaguy520

Reaction score
Possibly and yea you got lead walls or something? Lol if its ONLY your house I'd just connect to Wi-Fi while at home

Capone76

Reaction score
Yes I have wifi. My house was built in 30's. Nice older style home. But all plaster walls with wire mesh behind plaster. Lol. You nailed that one.

Capone76

Reaction score
Lots of older electric work too.

hondaguy520

Reaction score
If you don't have any problems anywhere else besides your house I wouldn't go through the trouble of a new phone. Its your walls or a ghost. When you want to use your phone at home I just suggest wifi or a nice rocking chair outside lol