rooting a co-workers dinc, help please

nerdkill

Reaction score
i rooted a friends 2.1 dinc and now i need to update it to 2.2. i don't want to install any custom rom's or wipe data. is there a way to update to rooted froyo without wiping or installing custom rom's? it's got clockwork on it. sorry i don't have any more info i just don't have it in front of me. i would imagine there should be a rooted 2.2 in rom manager that i shouldn't have to wipe with.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
OP
nerdkill

nerdkill

Reaction score
i'm confused. that all looks like the update without root no?

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
Yeah, after digging into XDA about 5-6 pages I just noticed that it looks like it is only for stock/unrooted.

Ok, I found this one. Everything else I read said they didn't have 2.2 root yet, but this looks like they just kind of worked it that way. And you should like this:
However, some people have used Virtuous and the completely unmodified ROM without wiping and haven’t had any difficulty.

http://www.jonamerica.com/technology/howto-htc-droid-incredible-froyo-2-2-and-root/

Wow! Sure isn't as easy to root your Incredible as my Droid. :)

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well if you don't want to keep root it is very easy. Just use the leaked RUU. If you want to keep root flash one the ota roms that are available. Doesn't get much easier then this.

OP
nerdkill

nerdkill

Reaction score
thanks everyone. i'll check out that link. i just don't want to load a custom rom because there's always bugs and updates. he really just wants stock 2.2 rooted for wireless tether. i guess it's not going to be as easy as i thought.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No, its super easy. If rooted load up a rooted version of the ota. I can get you a link if you like.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
thanks everyone. i'll check out that link. i just don't want to load a custom rom because there's always bugs and updates. he really just wants stock 2.2 rooted for wireless tether. i guess it's not going to be as easy as i thought.

Honestly, I don't notice any real bugs in any of the ROMs I've used, but then I know some patches were put out so they must not have been noticeable to me. But even Verizon/Motorola put out patches/updates. Problem is, they don't put them out as often while the ROM makers do it as soon s they figure out problems.

Just something to think about.

OP
nerdkill

nerdkill

Reaction score
I have no problems with roms but I don't want to deal with a bunch of questions every day or dealing with bugs when I don't own the phone so I might not be able to show him what to do all of the time. Much easier to have the factory rom rooted, all he wants is wireless tether.

Humpa

Reaction score