Rooting 2.2 (For those that did it manually)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by White Rat, Aug 9, 2010.

1. White Rat

White Rat New Member

I've seen the same question bandied around over and over again, so rather than digging through some misleading topics, I figured I'd put the info here in its own thread.

If you find yourself and your droid stuck with stock 2.2 froyo (via the manual update) you can easily root your droid using the same exact method as the 2.1 rooting process.

Follow the instructions on this page to install SPrecovery:

Video: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1 | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

(credit to droid-life and Kellex)

After sprecov is installed follow these steps:

**Credit to droid-life & Kellex

And that's it! Just remember to install a rom after getting sprecov on there, otherwise you'll have some weird issues trying to run the stock 2.2 that you already have. (or at least I and several other people have had issues)

And of course backup anything that you can't live without before doing this :p
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  2. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

sure thats gonna work for 2.2? that says 2.1 and i know when i rooted when i had 2.0.1 it changed when 2.1 came out...
  3. gavron

gavron New Member

Yes, using RSD to flash an SBF will work on all versions.

It gets you the alternate recovery console ... and using that you can install all the unsigned ROMs, most of which include root access.

E
  4. White Rat

White Rat New Member

I researched for what seemed like ever when my brother decided he wanted to root his phone yesterday (he had manually updated to 2.2). All we ended up doing was flashing sprecov as if he was running 2.1 and then installed UD 6.0 and its working like a charm.

And as gavron pointed out, flashing an sbf should work regardless of what version you're running.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  5. jrummy16

jrummy16 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

way too time consuming.. just flash this.

All I did was modify the updater-script to symlink busybox, removed stock recovery image, added superuser.apk and su binary.

Install in sprecovery or clockwork as an update.zip. Once done you will have stock frg01b w/ symlinked busybox 1.16.2 and root.

cvpcs has a great write up here on all this
  6. rotorpilot

rotorpilot New Member

Just run EASY ROOT
  7. White Rat

White Rat New Member

Thanks Jrummy!

Although, I think you missed the point of the thread. We are assuming that the people who need this are running stock 2.2 with no sprecovery. So they have to install that first...thus the post. Installing something else afterwards is as routine as ever.

But thanks for the file! So those who want rooted stock 2.2, you just got a link from the best.
  8. cougar

cougar New Member

If you wanted, could you then just flash the stock FRG01B sbf that verizon pushed out? (yes, I understand you would not have root, etc etc)
  9. gavron

gavron New Member

VZW don't send out SBFs. SBFs are for flashing a device to factory default IN ALL WAYS (baseband, 5 partitions).

I don't know what format FRG01B OTA is in but if it's like the past, it's update.zip.

Regards,

E
  10. cougar

cougar New Member

Er sorry for my newness. I suppose what I meant to ask is, could you use the FRG01B that Verizon pushed out (as update.zip) after flashing SPRecovery on the device? Would you lose the custom recovery?
  11. gavron

gavron New Member

You could. You'd have to 1)allow update.zip, and 2)Install update.zip.

You would not lose the custom recovery.

You would not be rooted. Much better to use one of the vary many FRG01B or FRG22 ROMs available. You get all the same advantages, no disadvantages, and... root.

E
  12. White Rat

White Rat New Member

This.

If you're going to install sprecovery, why not take advantage of the great work available?
  13. cougar

cougar New Member

Awesome - another Q, would I lose all my apps if I did this?
  14. gavron

gavron New Member

Installing a custom recovery will NOT affect your apps.

I don't understand why you keep asking the equivalent of "But if I poke my eye with this stick will I still be able to dance". Maybe you will maybe you won't, but if the whole point is "not to change anything" then DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING!

Flash a new SPRecovery, install a new ROM, and enjoy. Or DON'T. If you want to not change anything, then leave it alone.

E
  15. cougar

cougar New Member

I'm asking if I flash a different ROM on there will I lose my apps ...
  16. gavron

gavron New Member

Okay, time for you to go read the sticky threads and the FAQs.

Have a great day.

E
  17. porsche996

porsche996 New Member

X2!

I manually installed FRG01B last week, got home that afternoon and saw Verizon had temporarily paused it for unknown "issues". Figuring what the heck, I then followed the SP Recovery method, but once SP Recovery was installed, the phone would not boot properly to the Android 2.2 software... The unlock screen was there, but after unlocking, well, we'll just say the screen was scrambled...

So I then restarted, and installed the FRG22 file, and viola! No problems at all!!!

Except...stupid me didn't backup properly... And even worse, stupid me wasn't/isn't really a gmail user, so that account was just some random name, and I forgot the random name!!!

Anyhoo, if you're dumb like me, and forgot to do something important like backing up your contacts... Have no fear. Setup a new gmail account and import your contacts; they'll be on the SD card anyhoo, and they'll come right back in. No need to fear!
Search tags for this page

cougar wm8650

root wm8650 android 2.2

rooting wm8650

wm8650 hack

wm8650 root access