"Rooters" are like drug users...

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would not go as far as to compare to "drug users"...I mean come on, really?

I think the analogy was a bit off but not by much. From what I can see, there are a number of people who view "rooting" in much the same way that a newbie "tries" heroin. You know, just to see what it's like.

In fact, "rooting" the Droid is no challenge at all. It's the equivalent of getting the password to the root account on a Unix system. Once you have access to that password, however, you can literally destroy the operating system and all that goes with it. Same with "rooting."

I'm not at all surprised that "rooted" users have had mainly positive experiences with adding software or overclocking their phones. What will happen if/when Google decides to make fundamental changes in the O/S, however, is another question. If those changes are made you can bet the farm that they won't be designed to ease the pain for "rooted" phones. They will be based on the assumption that existing operating systems are "vanilla."

Likewise, I'm not surprised to see that the Droid works well in an overclocked mode. At least for awhile, for an undetermined level of overclocking, and for an "average" battery.

I have enough experience with this sort of operation in other realms to be relatively comfortable performing the operations necessary. On the other hand, my Droid isn't a toy that I can afford to be unusable while I try to figure out how to straighten out problems that my changes have introduced or will be introduced by updates in the vanilla operating system.

If it's nothing other than an expensive toy to others, go for it.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Do you realize how entertaining this thread has been. You start a thread about people (like me) inserting root issues into non-root issue threads and now you are being talked into rooting on that same thread??? I was really surprised when folks started taking this thread seriously, but we are now into a whole new realm of irony the likes of which I've never seen. Thanks young Jon for the grins. :)

My pleasure!:icon_ devil:

I was thinking along the same lines as I switched gears...

Not so much talked into it...but kinda...Haha! I've been thinking about it since I discovered it. I love to tinker. I just figure if these people are THAT passionate about the possibilities, I might swoop in and check it out.

Probably not tonight though. In about 2.5 hours, it will have been 24 hours since I left for work last night, and I haven't been to bed yet.

Droid Forums has ruined my life! Haha!

I also agree with the post about a "vanilla" OS. I don't wanna get stuck missing out on something approved and well-tested because I had to go messing around under the hood. I know recovery can back it up and things can be undone, but then I'm spending all that time doing these things, to undo them and get what I want.

We'll see.

I definitely had fun ruffling feathers tonight!

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
Droid Forums has ruined my life! Haha!

You think you aren't the only one in that boat :p

Now DroidForums,,, This place is like crack !!! Hmm SO I am Told :icon_ devil:

This has become my main addiction for sure :icon_ banana:

deputc26

Reaction score
Haha! Ok, completely over-generalizing here and don't really mean to lump ALL people who've rooted their phones together, but it seems to me that there are some out there who're like some people I've known in my day who use drugs.

You use them. You like them. You get something from it that you think is wonderful. Great.

Stop trying to convince everyone that doesn't want to do it, or isn't sure if they want to to it to do so.

If you CAN'T stop, at least give them reason specific to their usage/style/opinions/whatever as to why they SHOULD if you're so sure it'll benefit them.

:soapbox:

And now I'm done.

OK, and btw

I can provide a step by step tutorial in OCing if you want :):icon_ banana:

clunker

Reaction score
Well like i said, some people can accept things for what they are, some people only want to achieve the full potential of what they have. Some people are more than happy to stock shelves at wal-mart their whole lives, while others pursue careers. I've always been the one pursuing more and more, I have my dream job and I am STILL trying to make that better too!
This post seems to be criticizing both happy wal-mart shelf stockers and owners of non-rooted Droids. The implication that if you don't root its because you have no desire to improve is no better that saying rooters are drug users, and the latter was more clearly tongue-in-cheek. (Sorry if the wal-mart comment was intended the same way, it wasn't apparent to me as I was reading it). There is nothing wrong with being happy with things the way they are, especially if you like the way they are or don't find it particularly important either way.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey Jonny, the only reason your thread has ended up being so long is because you've bumped over half the posts in this thread...

NVash

Reaction score
lol I read the title as "roosters" lmfao
Thats kinda funny, that second pic your Droid screen? That was one of my original backgrounds. I change mine often though, like two or three times a week.

Briankbl

Reaction score
lol I read the title as "roosters" lmfao
Thats kinda funny, that second pic your Droid screen? That was one of my original backgrounds. I change mine often though, like two or three times a week.

heh Yeah man, I change up pretty frequently as well, but I think I have finally found the "perfect" set-up for me. The clock, background (batman FTW), and icons all go together just right IMO. Loving this look.