Rooted X will not broadcast SSID with Wireless Tether or Barnical

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by TWong1200, Jul 25, 2010.

1. TWong1200

TWong1200 New Member

Hi all. I have a rooted Droid X and for some reason, Wireless Tether or Barnical will not work. I cannot see the SSID from my Windows 7, XP, or Mac OS devices. I've read some things on this forum that Locale plays into the so I uninstalled Local (and all of its plugins) but to no avail.

I'm at a complete loss here. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
  2. ashkev843

ashkev843 New Member

Maybe try changing your settings in wireless tether. Change your channel and your LAN settings. Try enabling the security. Just an idea..
    Had to do that to get connected to vista with my Droid.
  3. TWong1200

TWong1200 New Member

Thanks for the tips. I've unfortunately tried then already to no avail. There must be some sort of app stopping me. I'm considering unrooting and restoring back to factory settings, then rooting again to get this to work. Once I get it to work, I'll reinstall the apps.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  4. TWong1200

TWong1200 New Member

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it. When I first got my X, I launched and configured the base 3G Tether app that came with the phone and got it to broadcast SSID and connected my laptop to it. I was immediately brought to a VZW page to sign up for the $20/mo tethering plan, to which I did not do.

Now, I'm wondering if this did anything to some files on my X that is not allowing the Wireless Tether App for Root not to work properly.

Any thoughts on this? I'm really considering doing a factory reset (reroot if i lose root by doing so) and reinstalling Wireless Tether.

Thanks.
  5. TWong1200

TWong1200 New Member

So after the factory reset, I still have the same problem. Wifi Tether and Barnacle still will not show up as broadcasting the SSID. Sigh
  6. Champers

Champers New Member

wireless tether broadcasts as an ad-hoc network. Make sure your computer is configured to view them as well as regular wireless networks.
  7. TWong1200

TWong1200 New Member

Thanks for the tip. I know it broadcasts as an ad-hoc network but I didn't know that there was something to 'configure' in Win7, XP, or Mac OS to view them. Can you please explain how? Thanks again.
  8. DroidDoug

DroidDoug New Member

This is posted right at the top of the Barnacle homepage.....

Supported hardware

Most up-to-date info is available on the wiki

Compatible with Windows (XP/Vista/7), Mac, Linux, even iPod/iPhone/iPad and Xbox!
    Developed and tested on Motorola Droid, and Nexus One.
    On Motorola Droid with Froyo (2.2), the wireless driver no longer properly supports ad-hoc mode -- enable Skip wpa_supplicant to fix it (but no WEP).
    Confirmed to also work on Droid X, Motorola Milestone, G1, myTouch, Acer Liquid (1.6), Sony X10 and LG Eve (1.6) and LG Ally.
    It's known that HTC Hero/Droid Eris phones don't work well with Barnacle at this time.
    For Samsung Moment you need custom wireless firmware. For Samsung Vibrant you need to adjust MTU.
    See FAQ or Troubleshooting for more information.
  9. shdwjackal

shdwjackal New Member

This helped me when I was having the same issue. Although I have a Motorola Droid as opposed to a Droid X, this might help. I had the app, "Y5" running on my Droid. It works well, but for some reason conflicted with the ability of my PC to connect over my wi-fi connection. Hope this helps.
Search tags for this page
android-wifi-tether can't see ssid
barnacle no ssid
barnacle wifi tether ssid not visible
barnacle wifi wont broadcast ssid
can't see ssid using wireless tether
can't see tether ssid
cant find my ssid when using wireless tether
tether lg flex will not broadcast
wifi tether 3.4 no longer broadcasting ssid
wifi tether cannot ssid
wifi tether no ssid