Rooted with sholes and want diff rom

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mr_tigolbitties, Mar 3, 2010.

1. mr_tigolbitties

mr_tigolbitties New Member

Ok so I am rooted currently with Sholes and it's full of bugs and just not what I am looking for. The phone operates better stock then rooted with their roms. Is there an easy way to switch roms? I know next to nothing about this stuff seeing as its completely different then anything done on a PC or any other gadget. I would like to try Adamz new rom but can't seem to figure out how to use it. I just need a step by step guide basically to switch over to that rom.. I tried downloading it and unpacking but am unsure what all needs unpacked and placed exactly where bc when i reboot into recovery it never shows up in list of roms.. Just the two sholes ones that youtube always crashes on and almost anything causes a reboot.
  2. lockman

lockman New Member

Which ROM are you running currently? Is it a Sholes or DroidMod?
  3. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Since you indicate that you are rooted with Sholes, I'm guessing that you used one of the automated process to root and install.

I'm not familiar with the automated process but if you have the SPRecovery then, for me, I would restore back to stock then follow the process Matth3W's (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...ng-only-sprecovery-terminal-emulator-zip.html). Once you get the nandroid file in place, I believe that you can follow the instructions on Adamz's page for the update.zip method to install his smoked glass rom.

Hopefully, someone with more expertise can confirm my suggestion or correct so that you can replace Sholes.
    Mike
  4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

When you installed sholes, it made a nandroid backup for you right before installing. That restore-point will be rooted, have the recovery image installed, but not have the rom installed.

1). Reboot your phone holding 'x' to get into the recovery console
    2). Go to restore
    3). If that was the most recent backup, just pick simple restore, otherwise pick advanced and select which restore you want.
    4). Reboot

Now you're back at "stock", but you still have root and SPRecovery installed. Think of this as a perfect starting point for installing roms.

The installation process for ANY rom, is to put a file on the sdcard, reboot holding X, and hit "install". Just that simple.
    - For some ROMs, the file is called "update.zip" and goes in the root of the SD card.
    - For some ROMs, the file will be called something else, and end in .rom.tgz. That file will also go in the root of the SD card.

The roms that have rom.tgz names may have menu options when you hit install to pick different features. The update.zip roms may have additional update.zip files that can be applied afterwards to add/remove/change components. Refer to the information pages on the particular rom for details.

It's always a good idea to make a backup before installing/removing anything. Even if you think you already have one. If you do an advanced backup, you can change the name of the backup, something like "stock_with_root" or "fresh_bugless_beast" or something that will remind you of what state things were in when you backed up. You can never have too many backups (and you can always thin them out later)
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  5. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

6. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

His directions are in my signature. Follow them step by step. You are already rooted. He has 17 very clear step by step instructions. On which step did you get stuck? Nowhere does he request you to unpack any file.

edit: the sholes automatic process would have already given you nandroid and sprecovery. Adamz latest rom doesn't use nandroid it uses the "chose rom from card" as indicated in step 12. All roms, that I know of, use sprecovery (reboot with power and x button held in)
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010