Rooted TB won't power off

onsht1kll

Reaction score
I'm trying to follow the Bump Charge/Calibration steps (different that stats wipe):

"1. With phone powered ON charge the battery until you get green light - 100% might show as 99 on widget.

2. Power off the phone.

3. Plug charger back in and wait for power light to hit green again.

Steps 4 & 5 are if you feel the need to do it I never have personally seems excessive but to each their own.

4. Unplug the phone from charger power it ON then OFF

5. Plug back into the charger until you get the green light on again.

Way battery technology works is since battery does warm up while charging when it is on and plugged in when it hits 99 percent it doesn't charge any further. Some devices then start to drain the battery life again and it trys to keep it fully charged but doesn't always work the greatest. So people feel to ensure you have completely charged the battery is to charge it when it is powered off and not using any battery function. "

Why do u need to power off the phone to wipe the battery stats? The steps should be..

Charge phone to 100% and unplug
Boot into recovery
Go to advanced and wipe battery stats.
Let the battery run down till phone powers off
Charge back to 100% again.
At no point during the battery run down phase can u charge the phone or reboot the device, so plan accordingly.

Lithium Ion batteries have no charge memory so you were fine when you charged it to the green light. No need to charge for 24 hours.

Never heard of that one before .. did u try it before rooting you TB or on your OG Droid? Did u notice any discernible change?

OP
Daethian

Daethian

Reaction score
Never tried it before. XDA Developers says its legit and does make a difference. I guess you are supposed to do it once a month but I just wanted to try it once to see if I could see a difference.

mark3748

Reaction score
You can unplug and reboot the phone. The battery level will drop to about 93-97%, plug back in to 100%, rinse and repeat.

Do that until it reboots at 99%. Same effect as bump charging with the mrthod used on the inc.

The tbolt boots to recovery when plugged in, even in stock form, and will continue to charge. The screen stays off and the led lights up for status. Clockwork just doesnt leave the screen off and you don't get the led.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The problem is that the OP can't do a bump charge due to the fact that with CWR installed the phone automatically boots into recovery from a powered off state when the charging cable is plugged in.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mark3748

Reaction score
That's why I offered the alternative method. Your only other option is to flash back to stock.

onsht1kll

Reaction score
I just powered my phone off and plugged the charger into it (not a two piece USB charging cable) and it is staying off and not booting into Recovery

OP
Daethian

Daethian

Reaction score
Even when I plugged it into my car charger it booted into Recovery. I don't have the one piece charging cable. All of mine are two piecers.

I just powered my phone off and plugged the charger into it (not a two piece USB charging cable) and it is staying off and not booting into Recovery

onsht1kll

Reaction score
Even when I plugged it into my car charger it booted into Recovery. I don't have the one piece charging cable. All of mine are two piecers.

Do u think its related to CWM or possibly the rooting process? I used the 1 click root method. Virusrom and have CWM 3.0.2.4 flashed as a recovery .. the people having problems what did u do?

onsht1kll

Reaction score
BTW I figured I would just finish trying the battery bump and it does seem to be staying on 100% longer

LadyAngler

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
There was a trick that worked for me from XDA. settings/applications enable fastboot. But sadly doesn't seem to work now. Not sure why :-(

EDIT: Actually I just fixed the fastboot. Now the phone powers off to charge/bump charge. I had connection set to data by default. Changed default back to charge only and it works now. :). So the above fastboot enabled does work for charging in power off mode.

But I did find this thread on XDA

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1016508

Last edited:
OP
Daethian

Daethian

Reaction score
I used the easyroot method and no custom rom.

So I should try enabling fastboot? My connection is set to prompt each time.

I tried the Bump charge anyway with the phone powered on and each time the phone did continue to take some charge.

LadyAngler

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I used the easyroot method and no custom rom.

So I should try enabling fastboot? My connection is set to prompt each time.

I tried the Bump charge anyway with the phone powered on and each time the phone did continue to take some charge.

Yes, try enabling fastboot. I'm not sure trying to bump charge with the phone actually on will work the same way.

But it should work for you to power down. With that fastboot enabled. Give it a shot.:)

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
One of our members over on Thunderbolt forums might have come up with a fix I will post a link over here. It involves fastboot.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk