Rooted, Strapped, and ROM'd...

TrueSpin

Reaction score
So, in the last 48 hours, after reading page after page, I decided to root my D2G.
Rooting was a pain in the rear. Z4 doesn't work, and S1C doesn't want to (hangs at Waiting for device). After reading several pages of the S1C support thread, I noticed someone with an HTC Eris or some other HTC phone said they had to boot the phone while S1C was "waiting for device." This worked for me. Root achieved.

Next, I installed the D2G Bootstrapper. From my experiences with flashing PSP firmwares, I know firsthand that a bootstrap recovery can be all the difference in the world between an expensive paperweight and a programmable piece of electronic hardware. Bootstrapper was easy to install, and I immediately made a backup of my phone and copied it to my computer for safe keeping. Bootstrap failsafe achieved.

I hesitated at this point because I wasn't sure whether Fission was for me. I thought, well, I can always go back. So after another several hours of research, I decided to take the plunge. What the hell, Bootstrap will save me. I launched FRM, got the Fission ROM, set it into queue, made a new backup, wiped data, and off we go. Surprisingly quick once the backup was done. Booted up immediately, and into the Android FTU stuff. ROM achieved.

Now it's a day later, and as I'm discovering exactly how much of my phone personalization is gone, the awesomeness of Fission wears off pretty fast. All of my stored text threads are gone. Progress on games (I realize this is a bit childish) is gone. Battery manager settings gone. Granted, the phone is running better than it ever has and everything works. But there are a lot of things that are different from BlurFroyo that I'm used to that are gone in Fission. Text Messaging being it's own app (Fission just has Messaging; Froyo has Messaging and Texting seperate for whatever reason); 7 Homescreens; Contacts in the Launcher; Docking Apps (Car and Multimedia); et cetera. Now I've rolled back to just before I installed Fission.

I'm back in Froyo with MotoBlur, using BloatFreezer to keep my phone running the way I want to. I just prefer Froyo over Fission. That's all.

I guess the moral of the story is this: All of this stuff was easily done at virtually no cost (I did pay like $2 or something for BloatFreezer, but who really cares about $2?) and virtually no risk. I still have root access on my phone, still have it running faster than it was before; not as fast as Fission, but faster than factory, and I still have everything I had before I went to Fission: Contacts, Progress, Settings... A journey to the center of the Droid and back.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
A way to get your progress on games and all of your app setttings etc is to use TitaniumBackup. Its a free app in the market that saves the all of the apps/data to your sd card. I found it essential personally. You can restore all of your apps with data to whatever rom you flash to.

For saving texts, I use an app called SMS Backup+. It saves all of your texts in a seperate folder of your gmail account that you link it to. Then you can restore all of them on the new rom.

I personally reccomend trying Liberty 1.5 with the Team Get R Done ROMer v7. The only thing that doesn't work is the sensors. So no auto-tilt (which I've always found to be annoying...), no proximity sensors, and no auto-brightness. However, it allows you to use all of the d2/dx roms. There are many of them and for the most part, they are much better than stock. If you like blur I would reccomend using Apex 1.4.1 Blurry with the v1 ROMer. With this one you don't have the keyboard backlights but I can get you a script that will make them work. You would have to run it every time you reboot though.

Hope this book of a post helps. If you have any questions feel free to pm me and i'll help you any way I can :)

sent from a D2G with Liberty 2

OP
T

TrueSpin

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

Do the D2/X ROMs you refer to (Apex Blurry, mostly) include the Docking Apps?
The docks are kinda a dealbreaker for me, as about 1/3 of my phone usage involves either the MM dock or the car dock. If they don't, is there a way I can seperate them into .apks or something so I can move them over?

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Yes, they all include the dock apps. I personally haven't used any of the blur roms (mostly because I don't like the look of blur) but I've ran all of the aosp-like ones. They help ALOT with battery and overall speed of the phone.

sent from a D2G with Liberty 2