Rooted, should I change the way I droid?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Dougw133, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Dougw133

Dougw133 New Member

I rooted the phone, installed wifi tether, still have a very small understanding of rooting, linux, development etc.. Question is, now that I have rooted should I be customizing things via root now, or is it ok to stay with things like GDE and Panda Home? I sure pandahome now, but it seems clunky and slow now.
  2. mammlouk

mammlouk New Member

If you don't have a good grasp of everything you've done please hold off on making changes that require root privileges. Even with Nandroid backups there is a risk of bricking your phone. Keep reading until you are comfortable and don't make changes just for the sake of making changes. Just because you have root privileges doesn't always mean it's a good idea to use them.
  3. catfishk

catfishk New Member

everything i have done so far i broke something... :) maybe wait until a stable backup/restore/ROM flashing solution is documented?
  4. cellulararrest

cellulararrest New Member

It's available, just none of the ROM's are far enough along in development to use it. They will soon I'm sure.
  5. Dougw133

Dougw133 New Member

Yeah I jumped into the wifi tether and already not happy I lost screen dimming/brightning control. I am going to hold off until I understand more about root commands etc..
  6. briantek

briantek New Member

I lost my brightness settings too but wifi tethering is well worth it. I cannot explain how amazing and convenient it is to be able to use this feature. I can honestly say that I couldn't be happier with this phone. The only thing I am waiting for is flash support. A few fixes/tweaks would be nice... such as fixing the browser lag, enabling pinch and zoom, fixing the auto brightness...
  7. Dougw133

Dougw133 New Member

Is there an easy way to get more than three screens using root? I have pandahome but it slows things down and seems to "Crash" every once and a while. Kind of like when explorer crashes in windows and the desktop has to reload. I dont really use themes, I just like having 5 home screens.
  8. iSecks

iSecks New Member

Launcher++ is exactly what you're looking for. Personally, I recommend Home++, but Launcher++ is a replacement for the default home that ONLY adds home screens, and doesn't change anything else.
  9. Sweet Daddy

Sweet Daddy New Member

2.1 comes with 5 homecreens standard.
  10. stanlori

stanlori New Member

Can't find Launcher ++ - has the name changed?
  11. iSecks

iSecks New Member

Search for "Home++" and it should show up in that search.
  12. stanlori

stanlori New Member

It is launcher+ beta but it only has 3 screens and I can't find out how to get more. I will try Home ++.
  13. Dougw133

Dougw133 New Member

I just installed home++ and it is the best yet. I was using pandahome and it did what I needed but was laggy and seemed to force close. Home++ is fats, smooth, and just what I wanted, thanks for the suggestions!
  14. iSecks

iSecks New Member

Glad you like it!

To change the number of screens, hold down on the background until window pops up, and from there select "Screens." It lets you change the amount of screens, as well as choose which one you want to be your default. Also, another useful feature if you have a lot of screens, if you hold down on the menu button [the one actually on the phone] it will bring up images of all of your screens, so you can switch to them quickly. It's useless unless you have a lot of screens, though.