Rooted Rezound will not update to ICS?

RVC

Reaction score
I rooted my rezound quite some time ago. Its unlocked with s-off. I am running an old infebellis GB ROM. I went into settings and tried to update software but with no avail. Is there another way to do it? I just thought that ota could be manually initiated regardless of root. Thank you.

acejavelin

Reaction score
You will never be able to update this way, you must load an RUU or another custom ROM... This has nothing to do with the fact you are rooted, but it does have everything to do with the fact you do not have a stock(ish) ROM.

Note that loading an official RUU will return you to S-ON, factory bootloader/recovery, and unrooted condition.

OP
RVC

RVC

Reaction score
I am actually s-on...I made a mistake in my first post. So i load the ICS RUU and lose root. Then do I have to do through the same process to unlock and root the phone? Thank you.

acejavelin

Reaction score
I am actually s-on...I made a mistake in my first post. So i load the ICS RUU and lose root. Then do I have to do through the same process to unlock and root the phone? Thank you.
Yes, you will have to unlock and root again.

If you are S-ON you will also have to relock first, but be careful, if you are using a non-stock bootloader (eng hboot), you will have to restore that before relocking or you can permanently brick your phone. I have never done this, so do your research first, perhaps HowardZ or MrSmith can jump in here and clarify this some more.

Flashing an RUU will completely default your phone as well, it is not an "upgrade" per se, it is a complete firmware image that replaced everything you have in your device.

But if you are already unlocked and rooted, why are you trying to upgrade back to the official ROM? Why not just move to CleanROM ICS, one of the AOSP/AOKP/CM builds, or ViperRez? You are already half-way there.

HowardZ

Reaction score
From what I have read, Switching from s-off to s-on with a non-stock bootloader will cause an unrecoverable brick.

Installing the ICS ruu should not affect s-on s-off.

If s-on, you must relock the bootloader before installing the ruu with the command "fastboot oem lock" from a pc.

Installing the ruu will erase the internal SD, but should leave the removable MicroSD card untouched. It will also do a factory reset so you might want to look into apps which can save your settings.

[Exclusive Download] HTC Rezound Ice Cream Sandwich RUU For Final OTA (3.14.605.12)

HowardZ

Reaction score
OP
RVC

RVC

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the help. I am just gonna leave it alone for now.