Rooted Razr and ICS- What to do when the update is released?

Nicktyelor

Reaction score
I rooted my Razr to a 1.3.6 build last month and, as a rooting/phone tech noob, I'm not totally sure what I need to do when the official ICS update comes next week. I assume my phone will not update automatically as I'm pretty sure I've read in places. What do I need to do to get the ICS update? Do I need to de-root my phone and then wait for an update to come over the air? With the update be posted here and I just need to port it over? I'm basically clueless on andorid and updates with rooting (this is my first smart phone). Some guidance would be much appreciated! Thanks!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I rooted my Razr to a 1.3.6 build last month and, as a rooting/phone tech noob, I'm not totally sure what I need to do when the official ICS update comes next week. I assume my phone will not update automatically as I'm pretty sure I've read in places. What do I need to do to get the ICS update? Do I need to de-root my phone and then wait for an update to come over the air? With the update be posted here and I just need to port it over? I'm basically clueless on andorid and updates with rooting (this is my first smart phone). Some guidance would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Unroot, but protect root with voodoo ota rootkeeper, unfreeze everything. It will be another ota update.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with voice to text translation. Please excuse minor spelling/grammar/punctuation errors.

OP
N

Nicktyelor

Reaction score
Ok, just backed up my root with rootkeeper. Do I just install the official update on the 4th after I unroot and then wait for a root to become available somewhere? Where does OTA come into play after that?

qoncept

Reaction score
For those of us running custom roms, here is what I'll be doing:

- Backing up all my downloaded apps+data with ROM Toolbox
- Flashing back to OTA
- Installing Rootkeeper and protecting
- Updating
- Rerooting
- Reloading app backups