Rooted problem

spawn9859

Reaction score
I rooted my phone about a week ago, yesterday I got a call from verizon saying that they pretty much know what I have done and its voided the warranty and the only way to unvoid the warranty is to send the phone in and have them reset it. What should I do? Also, I have a 600 dollar phone bill this month for some reason and have no idea why, could rooting it be the problem? Would they charge for that?

warrior21

Reaction score
You can't be serious

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bomber889

Reaction score
Maybe the OTA 2.1 update has been downloading constantly and you haven't noticed which makes Verizon think you are tethering?

OP
S

spawn9859

Reaction score
Maybe the OTA 2.1 update has been downloading constantly and you haven't noticed which makes Verizon think you are tethering?

My phone is 2.1 rooted, I have only tethered once and that was with my friends who has an iPhone and had no service so i let them use my 3G for about 20 minutes.

bomber889

Reaction score
Unlimited data really isn't "unlimited" so please check because Verizon can determine if you are tethering if you have a mass usage of data.

OP
S

spawn9859

Reaction score
Unlimited data really isn't "unlimited" so please check because Verizon can determine if you are tethering if you have a mass usage of data.

I have used 113mb of data. I dont see that as being too much considering the only thing I really do on it is check on here and download stuff from the market. I mostly use my home wifi.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I rooted my phone about a week ago, yesterday I got a call from verizon saying that they pretty much know what I have done and its voided the warranty and the only way to unvoid the warranty is to send the phone in and have them reset it. What should I do? Also, I have a 600 dollar phone bill this month for some reason and have no idea why, could rooting it be the problem? Would they charge for that?

:rofl2::rofl2::popcorn:

let me throw another one in there. :rofl2:

There is no way they can tell that you are rooted with out you telling them or showing them your device. Pdanet and easytether work on stock devices as well as rooted.
Seriously they have other issues to worry about other then calling people to tell them they think they rooted their phone, like getting them back ordered incredibles in.
The only way they care about what you are doing is if you are tethering your device and using it to download a lot of movies. Then they will ask and assume you are tethering.
You are probably the first they called to tell you that they know you are "rooted".
All the people that unrooted to exchange their messed up phone, and you the "only one" they snooped out. Hey big red is really cracking down on rooters.
If you think people should not root just say it, other wise calm down on the weird stories.

OP
S

spawn9859

Reaction score

There is no way they can tell that you are rooted with out you telling them or showing them your device. Pdanet and easytether work on stock devices as well as rooted.
Seriously they have other issues to worry about other then calling people to tell them they think they rooted their phone, like getting them back ordered incredibles in.
The only way they care about what you are doing is if you are tethering your device and using it to download a lot of movies. Then they will ask and assume you are tethering.
You are probably the first they called to tell you that they know you are "rooted".
All the people that unrooted to exchange their messed up phone, and you the "only one" they snooped out. Hey big red is really cracking down on rooters.
If you think people should not root just say it, other wise calm down on the weird stories.

I'm honestly not joking, I work for a Funeral Service and it is a business phone on a business plan, I'm all for rooting, which is why I have a rooted phone with bugless beat v1.1 and smoked glass on my phone right now sitting in front of me. My boss confronted me about this after getting a call from verizon telling him my phone is no longer under warranty because overclocking it can lead to over heating and they are not responsible for that. The main thing I am concerned with is why I have a 600 dollar phone bill this month. I havent done anything to get my bill that high. I have tethered it once for 20 minutes and all that was done during that was to play songs on youtube. I do not appreciate your very unhelpful comment. I posted here with a question looking for an answer, not that.

warrior21

Reaction score

There is no way they can tell that you are rooted with out you telling them o

I'm honestly not joking, I work for a Funeral Service and it is a business phone on a business plan, I'm all for rooting, which is why I have a rooted phone with bugless beat v1.1 and smoked glass on my phone right now sitting in front of me. My boss confronted me about this after getting a call from verizon telling him my phone is no longer under warranty because overclocking it can lead to over heating and they are not responsible for that. The main thing I am concerned with is why I have a 600 dollar phone bill this month. I havent done anything to get my bill that high. I have tethered it once for 20 minutes and all that was done during that was to play songs on youtube. I do not appreciate your very unhelpful comment. I posted here with a question looking for an answer, not that.
It is impossible for them to know you are rooted and overclocked.

OP
S

spawn9859

Reaction score

There is no way they can tell that you are rooted with out you telling them o

It is impossible for them to know you are rooted and overclocked.

Then why did I get a call from them telling me my warranty is voided?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Unroot to stock and clean your device by ensuring your root folders are removed.
As far as rooting I would think they have to prove it because there is no way possible they can tell, unless your business has the phone monitored. I would not root a business device any way. And again it would be real tough to prove that you are rooted. Rooting has nothing to do with tethering. And they can not determine what your phone is clocked at.
Now they can guess that you are tethering if you are burning through a lot of bandwidth.

I am sorry, I just dont see how they could determine or why they would care, even if you are a business. Unless your boss got ahold of your phone and took it to vzw.

warrior21

Reaction score
First you said you got the call and then it was your boss and now its you again. Either way I dont believe it but thats just my opinion

OP
S

spawn9859

Reaction score
First you said you got the call and then it was your boss and now its you again. You sound bored tonight so enjoy the story telling.

I am bored tonight but thats beside the point. I'm not someone who would just make this up.

I do think our phones are set to be monitored but even if thats the case thats supposed to be for my boss to see, not Verizon. Would they even be allowed to look at any of that?