Rooted phone and next OTA update (2.1?)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by bishop7262, Dec 14, 2009.

  1. bishop7262
    Offline

    bishop7262 New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2009
    Messages:
    67
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I took the plunge and rooted my phone. Was wanting to know that when the next update is release, supposedly 2.1, what happens when I update my phone. Do I need to root my phone again, can I update to the newest release, or will the rooted phone remain intact?

    Also I downloaded Adfree and it still shows the ad at the bottom of Shopsavvy. Does Adfree work for that particular app?

    TIA
  2. jinx10000
    Offline

    jinx10000 New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2009
    Messages:
    66
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    There are tons of posts about this.

    If you want to keep root do not accept an OTA update, because it will very likely remove it and patch it so that you cannot reroot it using the same exploit.

    Do a search for otacerts.zip to get more advanced instructions as to how to prevent an unauthorized OTA update. (Doubt if this will happen but who knows.)
  3. tktouch12
    Offline

    tktouch12 New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2009
    Messages:
    1,242
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    what if i just want to upgrade, keep my apps/ files, and become unrooted?
  4. Droidlicous
    Offline

    Droidlicous New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2009
    Messages:
    244
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Indianapolis, IN
    +1 This is what I wanna know, I really don't think anyone has an answer yet.
  5. Xerozix
    Offline

    Xerozix New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2009
    Messages:
    351
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Northern VA
    As long as your apps don't require root, you should be fine.

    Before you upgrade, you should remove busybox and the super permissions app, then hit the big upgrade button.
  6. lschmitt
    Offline

    lschmitt New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2009
    Messages:
    113
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    If I wanted to try the unofficial 2.1, do I have to root my Droid to install 2.1?
  7. SwordOfWar
    Offline

    SwordOfWar New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2009
    Messages:
    392
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Yes because the unofficial 2.1 is not signed. Meaning it was ripped off and an unrooted phone will not recognize this file as a legit, real, official update.

    Any custom ROM or modified ROm needs a rooted phone. Only official releases by Verizon/google will work on an unrooted phone.

    I personally don't know why anyone would want to give up their root access unless they were returning the phone for a replacement or something.

    Root basically gives you the freedom to do 95% (the other 5% might not need root) of the kool stuff people post on here.

    The otacerts hack is risky and unnecessary anymore, as the latest SPRecovery image blocks ota updates by default, unless allowed through an option in the recovery screen.
Search tags for this page
can i get ota update with rooted sg3 phone
,
can i receive ota cell updates on my pc
,
can i received ota updates when rooted
,
does adfree block ota
,
how do i ota update my rooted android phone? 2014
,
how to get ota update with my rooted phone
,
how to get ota updates on a rooted phone
,
how yo get ota updates on rooted phone
,

ota update on rooted phone

,

ota update rooted phone

,
will i get ota updates if my phone is rooted?