Rooted OTA .602

the5barrons

Reaction score

nscra

Reaction score
I just rooted my Gingerbread OTA using the same method that you linked to. It was extremely easy. I was pretty nervous about doing it but after watching a Youtube video that showed how easy it was I decided to do it:

[ROOT] Droid 3 root instructions (One Click added for Windows/ Linux/ OSX)

It only took about 3 minutes, and most of that was waiting for my Droid X to reboot two times.

I have now installed several apps from the Android Market that require root.

I am considering installing a ROM but I am not sure if I can after rooting this way. Does anybody know?

kevinkar

Reaction score
On the off chance that one needs to un-root, does this method support that? If so, how? Does re-running the batch file know the phone is rooted and then undoes it? Just wondering because apps like Z4Root provide a root/unroot capability.

e30bimmer89

Reaction score
So, if I am reading this right, we can finally accept the OTA GB from Verizon and root it?

e30bimmer89

Reaction score
After following this....

IT WORKED! Any one try flashing a ROM yet? I was thinking of either DS or Liberty. I may try it out tonight

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

americanz

Reaction score
yes you can root it also works on ota for d2. i did it today. as im in the soak test. but no un root or sbf is available yet

earlybill1

Reaction score
I got everything downloaded to root my DROIDX but I herd it will go into bootloader mode then u unplug turn off phone then turn back on then plug back in then it will finish is this true for the x can this mess up my phone

SimplexMango

Reaction score
I got everything downloaded to root my DROIDX but I herd it will go into bootloader mode then u unplug turn off phone then turn back on then plug back in then it will finish is this true for the x can this mess up my phone

Its true. I used the same exploit to root my phone.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Used this and it worked great, so simple and easy.

BillB11791

Reaction score
Droid X On-Step Root effect on apps

Apologies for asking a basic question, but if I upgrade my Droid X with Gingerbread 602 using the new one step root method, will I have to redownload my apps, or does the root process not effect them? Thanks.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
It depends on how you get to .602. If you have to sbf to either froyo or .596 then yes all your apps will be wiped. If your stock (not rooted) at the moment and you upgrade to .602 then use the new one click method to root .602 your apps will be in tact, root doesn't wipe your phone.

icefalkon

Reaction score
Question...can you tether with the rooted 602? I've heard that once you get GB 602 you get Big Red's nag screen whenever you try to tether. Has anyone checked?

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Question...can you tether with the rooted 602? I've heard that once you get GB 602 you get Big Red's nag screen whenever you try to tether. Has anyone checked?

I do not know if anyone has tried to apply the TBH hack to see if it works, but without that hack gb broke free tethering so I would assume .602 has yet another fix for tethering.

icefalkon

Reaction score
Hey CD...I know...I've tried looking for the TBH patch all over the place but it's disappeared. I've even paid and signed up for their app...but nowhere in there is this tethering hack. I'm at a loss of what to do.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Hey CD...I know...I've tried looking for the TBH patch all over the place but it's disappeared. I've even paid and signed up for their app...but nowhere in there is this tethering hack. I'm at a loss of what to do.

Try a Google search for "TBH wifi hack" or "wugfresh tether hack". I have found several threads on this. I rarely if ever tether so I haven't found the need to dl the hack yet.

***edit*** also if you recall TBH was tweeting a few months ago that there might be some legal issues for the team. It stands to reason that because they were providing the files to hack vzw's software to allow free thethering, the team received a cease and desist letter. That's probably why the TBH app only contains leaked, rooted os files now instead of programs to in essance steal a paid service. **** not fact, just opinion ***

Last edited: