Rooted now what?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Marco Montana, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Marco Montana

Marco Montana Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I rooted mu Droid Inc. Using the 1 click unrevoked software, what do i do now? I loaded droid wall and some cach clewners, I assume im rooted. I still cant use the tether wifi hotspot feature...

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

2. UltraDroid

UltraDroid Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 3, straight stock
    Go over to the separate Droid Incredible area and read some of the posts about installing roms and themes. You're on the doorstep of some exciting times!

-Mike

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk Pro.

3. Steelcurtain85

Steelcurtain85 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Download rom manager and pick a rom.
    I recently rooted my incredible and put cm on it. It will make your eyes open like christmas morning.

4. UltraDroid

Staff Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 3, straight stock
    Steelcurtain is right - Christmas morning AND your birthday, all rolled together. Enjoy! :):)

-Mike

5. Sniper_5

Sniper_5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Might want to note. If you make a backup with ROM manager, do NOT put spaces or (.) in the name. Otherwise when you try to restore you'll run into issues.

Sent from my D1 on UD @ 1.2Ghz

6. Marco Montana

Marco Montana Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well i downloaded rom manager, i got the bugless beast and installed it usong rom manager. After full onstall my Droid Inc sat at the Htc Sense boot screen for 15 mins.... I pulled battery rebooted to the same. I then pulled the battery again and held the power and volume down button and luckily could figure out how to recover the back up i made.

What do you think went wrong?

7. guidot

guidot Developer Relations
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +274
    Did you follow the instructions for installing that ROM? IE wipe data/cache 3x?

8. UltraDroid

Staff Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 3, straight stock
    I'm not sure that Bugless Beast is ported to the Dinc. *That* may be the reason he's having problems. What you need to do is go to the Droid Incredible area of this forum and check what roms are available for the Dinc - UD 1.0.0 and Ruby, are two I'm familiar with, along with (I think) ShadowRom. I would personally *never* download a rom through Rom Manager (because it's too slow), but prefer to find them (the roms) on this forum or one of the others, download it to my PC desktop, then transfer it by way of a USB hook up to my SD card. After doing that, you can then use Rom Manager to do the installation, if you like.

The key difference is that you know for a FACT that you're downloading the correct rom or theme for your phone, if you get it off the forum, while Rom Manager may have given you a Droid 1 rom in error.

My two-cents worth.

-Mike

9. Marco Montana

Marco Montana Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That must be the problem as Iam a noobie at this, i do believe i followed everthing to a T. Ill check the inc forum...

10. UltraDroid

Staff Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 3, straight stock
    We were ALL noobies in the beginning, my friend. You're only experiencing a temporary setback. Find yourself a good rom (and theme) and push ahead. :)

This is the beginning of the *fun* part of having an android phone.:icon_ banana:

-Mike

11. Marco Montana

Marco Montana Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to dl and install shadowrom 2.1 successfully, I didnt know it wipes all apps and everything. Lol

I rebooted back into recovery and restored my backup, which was quite fun actually I felt like a hacker hahaha.

Anyway, what are the advantages to having say shadowrom over the Htc sense rooted? Other than the obvious removal of goole stock apps and wifi tethering?

12. UltraDroid

Staff Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 3, straight stock
    "Advantages"? Well, it's been awhile since I've had ShadowRom on one of my phones, so I'm speaking mostly from memory, but my take on ShadowRom was that it was a very fast and responsive rom. Much faster than the stock rom that came with either the D1 or the Dinc. Also, it had additional features built in that were cool and useful. I believe you could access "reboot" and "reboot into recovery" from the power button - which is not something that came stock on these phones. Also, I seem to remember that there was a special area under "settings" that let you do further tweaking to the way the rom looked and acted.

Those sort of things are part of what you get when you switch roms. Plus, there are various themes available that are sometimes specific to a particular rom - although a lot of the more popular themes are ported to several different roms. What you need to do is try them all, and see which ones you like the best. Why settle for one dish when you've got an extensive menu to choose from?

-Mike