ROOTED: now what.

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by mynamesjose, Aug 9, 2010.

1. mynamesjose

mynamesjose New Member

I finally felt comfortable enough to attempt to root my Droid. I did so with sucess. I was frustrated with the fact that my phone constantly felt laggy and I wasn't getting the DOES out of it. I am running Chevy's SS v4.6 with the .8ghz Kernel. I have a few questions.

1: I attempted to go into SetCPU to mess around however when I adjusted it the phone rebooted immediately, I wasn't sure if this was how it worked.

2: Also what is the safest speed to overclock to, I've seen some guys running the 1.25Ghz (I believe) kernel, any problems?

I've already noticed a huge change, the phone doesn't lag between screens, or lag when when returning to the home screen, with the same apps that I've had pre root. However this could of been because of Helix Launcher. However, I am increidably happy with choosing to ROOT.

I have downloaded the basic must have root apps. ROM Manger, Adfree, SetCPU, ect. I have not downloaded Term Emulator because I wouldn't say I am that good that kinda thing. However any suggestions would be appreciated on APPS and what to do now would be appreciated.. I posted this Chevy's section because I wasn't sure of the setCPU issue was specific to his ROM.

Anyway great work Chevy! Loving this!
  2. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Congrats on your decision and Welcome to the Darkside, Cache Cleaner is a free must have Root app, you would be suprised how much cache your device builds up, Shoot Me (with the purple camera icon) or DroCap are good for taking screen shots, these are also free

Start up manager is another good Root App, it let's you disable things like messaging and email from running during the start up process, speeding up start times and eliminating the fifteen notifications (or how ever many) at once after a reboot

As far as the reboot while messing with setcpu, have you installed an OverClocking kernel or does the 800mhz come stock with the ROM?
  3. joebetsill

joebetsill New Member

Autokiller is also pretty useful to have around. (It helps tweak Android's memory management)
  4. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I almost forgot "Root Explorer" is the only File/System/Data Man/ agment App you will ever need, well worth the $2.99 it costs in the Market
  5. JBPruitt

JBPruitt New Member

If it's restarting right away that usually means your phone doesn't like the speed or the voltage... Your phone may not be able to handle the lower voltage kernels... one of my coworker's phones I manage does the same thing if I try and load anything above 1.1Ghz or any kernel below a low voltage (Ultra Low Voltage).

I would suggest trying varying voltages and speeds... a lot of people have success with both the low voltage and ultra low voltage 1.1 and 1.2GHz Kernels.

I've run mine for the last several months on any where from 1.1 to 1.25Ghz... It's all dependent on your phone's capabilities... all droids are not created equally unfortunately, so watching your temp closely to make sure you're not overheating on higher voltage /speed kernels is about the only way you'll find out what the safe operating speed of your phone is...

The important thing is to set up the CPU temp threshold for SetCPU so your phone will slow down before you overheat.

in short:
    1. your phone shouldn't restart when you change speeds... I would look at a different kernel.

2. safe speeds are anywhere from .8GHz - 1.25GHz... you'll just have to test your phone... (of course Motorola will tell you the safe operating speed is 550 MHz... so it's kind of subjective)

Hope this helps :)
  6. mynamesjose

mynamesjose New Member

Definitely helped. But have a few more questions.

What temp should I start worrying? And how do I set the threshold in setCPU?

Is there away to switch the speed without wiping?. I'm at .8GHz now, and everything has been smooth so I def think I can push alittle bit more.
  7. JBPruitt

JBPruitt New Member

I have my temp set at 60 C... my phone almost never even gets close to this hot... but I. Really don't want it any hotter than that...

You set this in the profiles tab in setcpu... profiles are important for saving battery life and maximizing perfomance when needed... a good read is the overclocking 101 thread... I'll link it to you in the morning unless sombody is nice enough to do it for me...

As for the speed... you just need to load a new kernel... no wiping needed... as a matter of fact if you stick with simply stunning you shouldn't need to wipe at all even between version changes... like the upcoming 4.7!...

All you'll need to do is download and load to the phone your new kernel just like you did the old one and the rom... boot into recovery (hold down the power button, the option should be there) and install from location... find and install!

If you have any problems with that let me know... and good luck!
  8. mynamesjose

mynamesjose New Member

Sounds good. I knew I made the right choice when choosing SS. I'll give it a try later today, I'll let you know if I have any questions or it worked out perfectly.
  9. JBPruitt

JBPruitt New Member

Overclocking 101 -

read through this and it will answer all of your questions about overclocking... or at least most of them.
  10. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member Premium Member

i tried to dl from the mkt, but the price is in UK pounds and it won't take my credit cards for "Pounds" - do you know of anywhere else i can get it??

what's the difference between Root Exp and Term Emu or Absol Systems??

11. JBPruitt

JBPruitt New Member

that's weird... Beautiful widgets was in pounds as well... and it worked just fine...

also... I haven't found a real reason to have root explorer... you can do everything you need to do like load custom boot animations and what not through the terminal emulator... it's harder to do... but you don't really NEED root explorer imo...
  12. huskerkate

i'm a little techno-disinclined, so i have a little trouble navigating thru Term Emu for different roms. is there a tutorial out there for utilizing TE?? i tried searching threads, but couldn't find anything...

13. JBPruitt

JBPruitt New Member

unfortuneately there isn't...

I just do searches for whatever i'm trying to do... a perfect example was copying a new boot animation... instead of spending $3 on root explorer to do this simple task it took me 5 minutes to find a thread that said...

change the name of your boot animation to Blah_blah

open terminal emulator
    type the following
    su
    cp sdcard/blah_blah.zip /data/local/bootanimation.zip
    rb

as far as scripts... most developers usually have those spelled out for you like chevy used to (now he has them auto run from a menu).

and astro file manager free does everything else pretty much aside from "root exploration"... but for the most part I haven't found a legitimate reason to need that... maybe as i get into themeing myself I'll find that it's useful to have...
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  14. huskerkate

yeah, i've been able to change BA's thru it with roms. JRum's LithMod has the "allinone" script thru TE, and it's pretty cool. i just didn't know if other roms had a similar feature. thanks!

15. mynamesjose

mynamesjose New Member

You were not kidding! Thank you! I am going to attempt to load the new kernel then mess with setCPU now that I have a guide.
  16. mynamesjose

mynamesjose New Member

Had some trouble with this. Can I do it through ROM manager? Or do I need to copy from my computer onto the SD ?
  17. JBPruitt

JBPruitt New Member

You'll want to download the kernel that you want and put it on your sd card...

use rom manager (or hold down the power button) and boot into recovery.

select "install zip from sdcard
    select "choose zip from sdcard
    find your kernel
    select the kernel

and when it says completed reboot...

Should be good to go...
  18. mynamesjose

mynamesjose New Member

Good to go. JB thanks a ton for all the help.
  19. mynamesjose

mynamesjose New Member

Hit a snag, my phone didn't like the 1.25 ULv kernel because once I went into setCPU and started setting profiles it restarted and kept doing so, I don't know if I set the wrong thing. But I am going to try the LV 1.2 and see how that goes.
  20. mynamesjose

mynamesjose New Member

Found success with running a medium volt 1.0 Ghz Kernel. We'll see how this goes before I try and go to a LV one or a 1.25Ghz Medium.