Rooted.. Now what

andlamv

Reaction score
Ok I have Wifi tether working and it is cool. I was wondering what else I can do like having a different rom. What is the steps I need to take to do it also I would like to save the current state of my phone in case I don't like the roms I try or in case I need to take It back to Verizon. Can anyone point me to a current guide or help me. Also I want to know what roms are the best? I thanks for helping a newb lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
andlamv

andlamv

Reaction score
Coon guys help a guy out

jimbarr

Reaction score
Install the ClockWorkMod Bionic Recovery app found on the Market. This will let you install a useful recovery utility that lets you have all the fun. Top button installs the Recovery utility, bottom button reboots into the Recovery utility. Doesn't get much simpler than that. Once in the Recovery utility, volume up and down moves the selector highlight, and the power button selects what's highlighted.

In CWM Recovery mode...

First, do a backup with CWM to backup your system and data. It may take a while, but it is the insurance you should have prior to mucking around.

On your PC or on you Bionic, download a ROM and save/copy it to your SD Card. I don't remember if it's the internal or the external card, but it's one or the other. CWM only recognizes one.

You did do a backup on your Bionic, right?

Now back in CWM Recovery mode, select the Install .Zip from SD card option, select the ROM, confirm, and sit back and wait. Depending on the ROM, you may need to wipe or format various things like the system partition or the cache, etc. By all means, READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS ACCOMPANYING THE ROM.

Once installed, reboot, and voila! You're now running on a new ROM.

Finally, if things get hosed, reboot into Recovery if you can, and do a restore from the backup you made.

Things can get very wonky sometimes if you don't follow instructions exactly requiring other recovery methods, so you should probably dig and learn those as well.

Have fun!

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Or, you can use safestrap for Bionic!

Sent from my rooted, ROM'd, and Safestrapped XT862

Mehknic

Reaction score
Does Safestrap work with all ROMs, or just ones that specifically mention Safestrap? I'm running it now to alternate between my rooted stock system and the ICS alphas, but I'd like to try and find a daily driver ROM that works with safestrap.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The newest iteration of Safestrap works with *all ROMs AFAIK.

Unless the ROM says it doesn't in the description.

Sent from my rooted, ROM'd, and Safestrapped XT862

OP
andlamv

andlamv

Reaction score
Install the ClockWorkMod Bionic Recovery app found on the Market. This will let you install a useful recovery utility that lets you have all the fun. Top button installs the Recovery utility, bottom button reboots into the Recovery utility. Doesn't get much simpler than that. Once in the Recovery utility, volume up and down moves the selector highlight, and the power button selects what's highlighted.

In CWM Recovery mode...

First, do a backup with CWM to backup your system and data. It may take a while, but it is the insurance you should have prior to mucking around.

On your PC or on you Bionic, download a ROM and save/copy it to your SD Card. I don't remember if it's the internal or the external card, but it's one or the other. CWM only recognizes one.

Now back in CWM Recovery mode, select the Install .Zip from SD card option, select the ROM, confirm, and sit back and wait. Depending on the ROM, you may need to wipe or format various things like the system partition or the cache, etc. By all means, READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS ACCOMPANYING THE ROM.

Once installed, reboot, and voila! You're now running on a new ROM.

Finally, if things get hosed, reboot into Recovery if you can, and do a restore from the backup you made.

Things can get very wonky sometimes if you don't follow instructions exactly requiring other recovery methods, so you should probably dig and learn those as well.

Have fun!

I can't find the App in the market I found rom manager but when I try to do a back up it just restarts it self

Concistency

Reaction score
I reccomend Safestrap over Bootstrap, but first thing is first, be sure to make a nandroid backup. Before flashing roms be sure to know how to do it from other tuts, make sure you wipe data, wipe cache, format system, wipe dalvik, etc. more details in other posts.

OP
andlamv

andlamv

Reaction score
Can you lead me to the forums if I may ask? Thank you