Rooted, now what?

Reaction score
I know that rooting gives my phone a better battery life, but what can I do to it aesthetically that I cannot do with ADW Launcher or GoLauncher EX? I'm extremely new to this and would also love to change up my lock screen if anyone can tell me how to go about doing this.

Thanks guys.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
The main thing you can do is flash a custom rom. FYI, rooting itself doesn't give you better battery life, you need to do tweaks which you can do with apps once you're rooted.

In the way of roms, I really like Cyanogenmod7 but probably you'd want to stick with Liberty, another great rom, because you're newer to this whole thing! There are several great apps that you can edit your lockscreen with, three in particular are Widgetlocker, Lockgo, Flyscreen. I've never done this because I've had a reason and I have cyanogen! There are lots of good instructions online about how to use them.
Have fun with your rooted phone! dancedroid You'll never want to go back to stock! (at least I dont!) ;-)

cubsfan187

Reaction score
There a few sites that you can go to that will give you things to change up the phone. My personal favorite used to be (before CM7) droidpirate.com. It works with an app called metamorph and can change just about anything in the phone. (lockscreens,battery icons, singal meters ect) Have fun with whatever you do with your rooted phone. BUT, read up on making a nandroid backup and SBF'ing before jumping in. It will help you a ton in the long run!!

leftspin

Reaction score
most custom ROMs have a modified UI, and they also allow you to install custom themes. If you really want one that's very different aesthetically, check out MIUI

trizzypballr

Reaction score
I've rooted my phone, now what should I do? I've already grabbed wifi tether, what other things can I also now do for free that I couldn't before?

What is out there for me to do to improve my rezound?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
The biggest thing you can do now that you couldn't before, is fully backup your apps and data via Titanium or MyBackup Pro. You now have full control of your phone. You can use a custom ROM, or remove apps that you couldn't before. Basically put, unlocking gives you the freedom to run a custom ROM. Rooting gives you the ability to further customize your phone.

trizzypballr

Reaction score
Dumb question, but exactly what do ROMs do, just give us a different theme/buttons, or is there more to it?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Some have features from other phones, some are just cleaned up stock. Every ROM brings something new to the table. For instance Newt brought us a working Sense 4 ROM.