1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Rooted...Now What?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by hollar2008, Dec 28, 2010.

1. hollar2008

hollar2008 New Member

Hey guys!

I'm relatively new at the Droid X (received it last week as a Christmas gift). Well after I started using it for my everyday use, I noticed that I could only get around 6 or 7 hours out of my phone. And most of the time, this is just from me only texting with maybe one or two phone calls. My brother and his wife also got the same phone as me; however, there phone can be all day with moderate use and only reduce the battery life by 10% in a 12 hour span (and they don't have the extended battery).

I read on the forum that the best thing to do is start by rooting the phone. I read up on how to do this, and I successfully done so. Now, I need help from here on what to do to get my battery to be able to last an entire day without have to charge it.

I downloaded Milestone Overlock, and set my phone to 1000MHz, at 68 vsel. I really do not know what these means (MHz refers to phone performance, while vsel refers to the battery. I just lowered both. It was originally set at 1150MHz at 80 vsel) Did I help my phone's battery out by adjusting these settings?

Does anyone have another app or suggestion on how to get a better battery? I read up on installing a ROM, but I have no idea what I'm doing there. I tried looking up on it, but there is so much info and so many various ROMS I wouldn't know where to begin.

I would HIGHLY appreciate any response in regards to better battery performance!

Thanks again.
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

3. hollar2008

hollar2008 New Member

Well, to give you an idea of how bad my battery is...

My phone has been unplugged for 4 hours.
    I have NOT used my phone except 2 seconds in the market. Literally, went in and came right now...
    after 4 hours, my battery is below 90%.

It says the following:
    Display...........30%
    (I did edit this...lowed display to hardly nothing. Have it going to black screen in 15 secs etc.)
    Phone Idle......29%
    Call Standby...23%
    Android System..6%
    com.motorola.home..5%
    juice plotter.....3%
    Android OS......3%

I even installed juicedefender, which says it's helping my battery by 1.6, on top of me slowing down the voltage of my phone. I even have my phone on maximum power saver....

I'm LOST. I have no idea where to go from here.
  4. hookbill

Ok…Are you saying that's bad? Because it isn't. That sounds and looks exactly right.

Look my friend, these phones take a lot of juice to work. Display should be #1 and I see nothing out of the norm with your usage. I have an extra battery I keep charged in case I do need it, I rarely do but if your at 80% after 4 hours that's totally normal. Expect to charge at least once a day if not more.
  5. hollar2008

hollar2008 New Member

I would say it's bad...because I haven't used my phone and it drained over 10%. I didn't use it except once, to go onto the market. I was literally on it for maybe one minute tops...

My brother and his wife have the same phone/battery as I do. Both of them can unplug their phone at 8 am (what time they usually get up) and last all day with over 50% left. We went out to dinner last night at 6 pm and his wife had 80% batter after unplugging at 9 am that morning. That's 9 hours and still having PLENTY of battery life left.
  6. hookbill

Well, all I can do is share my own personal experience. Battery is probably talked about more then anything else in this forum. My battery hasn't been plugged in for 28 hours and 46 minutes, I'm at 50%. Phone idle is #1 because of how little I used it.

This is not normal for me at all. I still say at 80% with a display reading at #1 for 4 hours you're doing well. I think what you are doing is focusing on battery use that your constantly looking at it, thus raising the display which as I said before is the #1 power hog.

If you're going to use this phone the battery is not going to last long. You can try and use an app for memory management thus supposedly helping the Droid from using extra power but I honestly don't see that as a solution.
  7. adsfa34

adsfa34 New Member

Do have widgets running with auto-refresh intervals setup? Like fb, twitter, news, weather, handcent, etc? Any program that runs in the background will use resources. The faster the refresh rate, the more resources it uses. I agree that 10% decrease is not bad, even with limited "use"....since your phone was really "in use" running programs in the background over those 4 hours.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  8. hollar2008

hollar2008 New Member

I do have programs running in the background...but how do I turn off auto refresh? I downloaded a facebook app, I didn't use the social networking that came with the phone. I dont have twitter. I do have news running and weather. But with juice defender, I have it set up to check data once every 15 minutes....

How do I turn off unused programs and keep them turned off to maximize the battery?
  9. adsfa34

adsfa34 New Member

Each app that automatically pulls data will have its own settings since it's not a global setting.

Fwiw 15 minute refresh rate for any non-essential program seems very fast to me. I have my fb and weather set to refresh every 3 hours and 6 hours respectively since they usually refresh when I open them anyway. I have my email set to 5 minutes but that's for business so it's essential for me.

Just check each app that uses autp-refresh and either specify a longer interval or specify "never" (available on a lot of apps).

Juicedefender might actually be working against your battery if it's running every 15 minutes...just a thought. I have no evidence to support that, but every program uses resources, and if it's running when others aren't you're actually wasting resources to have it use resources to "check" resources that aren't being used...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  10. hollar2008

hollar2008 New Member

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I worked around with my settings, and I think I was able to optimize my battery. I also downloaded SetCPU and used it in correspondence with milestone overlock and juicedefender, while changing a bunch of settings inside the phone itself.

Before I added SetCPU in correspondence with the other apps and changes, the juice defender plotter estimated battery life at 7 hrs. After I installed everything it increased to 10 hours. That was about an hour ago. I'm just now down to 8 hours as compared to what it was bofore I installed everything.

I think there are still some optimizing I can do to get the full batter usage, but for now I'm satisfied with a battery lasting 18 hours when it was lasting only 6 or 7 max.

Thanks again, you really were able to help! :icon_ banana:
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
Search tags for this page

how maximize use of rooted phone

how to maximise rooted phones

how to maximize the use of rooted phone

how+to+maximize+rooted phone