1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Rooted Now What? questions.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by xxnonamexx, Mar 25, 2010.

1. xxnonamexx

xxnonamexx New Member

I rooted my phone I read and have copied the recovery steps to bring my phone back to factory in case of any issues. I understand you can change the Roms, themes etc. SPRecovery, I also read that it is hard to brick the phone with these safety features. since the droid is a 2.01 what will happen when VZN sends the 2.1 update? Will the phone get bricked? Can I install any ROM or are there specific ones? Will I be able to get my phone to the Pre Root stage? Thanks
  2. titans

titans Premium Member Premium Member

Sprecovery blocks OTA updates. No need to worry. You can install any ROM you want, and you can follow these http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...st-way-get-back-stock-no-root-no-busybox.html directions to unroot.
  3. Droidfish

Droidfish New Member

Welcome to your new addiction. Try HERE, this thread has alot of good info I would recommend reading all of it. Actually I would have recommended reading all of prior to rooting your phone.

If you have any other questions try searching, the good thing about a forum with a user base as large as this one is that any prob;em we run into, chances are someone else has already found a solution.
  4. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

I was worried about the 2.1 update not hitting my phone until last night when I installed Smoked Glass 6. I nolonger read that thread in the news forum. LOL

You have a basic understanding of what to do next. You're asking good questions anyway. But we can't tell you what the next step is. That's up to you. There are so many flights of stairs to take.

Mainly though, relax and enjoy. I was worried about bricking and voiding warranties. But as long as you have a nandroid backup of everything (use SPRecover 99.3b and chose all options in the backup) then you can always come back to the way it was before you screwed it up. Usually if you screw it up you typed something wrong and the tendancy is to blame the ROM or the process you used. Start by looking in the mirror and you'll find the solution quicker. That was my approach when I started all this ROM hacking. Keep it fun, don't worry, be safe and look in the mirror when it blows up. Then take a step backwards...regroup and continue on your journey.

The best peice of advice I have for newbies...read things slowly! How many times do you read a post where someone deleted an app during a ROM install that they did not want to delete? Most installers ask a few questions. One is "which apps do you want to install?" (*) means yes and ( ) means no. Then the next question is "Which apps do you want to delete?" And the user reads that as Which apps do you want to install? Last night I was trying to delete google maps and I was typing rm /app/maps.apk. Every set of instructions I read said rm /app/Maps.apk but I was typing it with a small "m" instead of a capitalized "M". That simple mistake lead to at least an hour of frustration. But I kept at it and kept looking in the mirror. The solution was there but I could not see it.

Enjoy

Nate