rooted my Droid...now what?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by bmb0205, Mar 7, 2010.

1. bmb0205

bmb0205 New Member

I just successfully rooted my Droid because everyone told me rooting it makes it a lot better. Now I don't know exactly WHAT to do to make it so sweet. I have no experience with this type of stuff and don't want to mess up my phone. I just want to make my Droid cooler than stock now that it is rooted (different homescreens/apps/widgets?). What exactly should I do now? Can anyone help me out here or point me in the direction of help? I read some threads about it (including the one about what you can do once rooted) but they really don't say much or how to do things. Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone.
  2. NeverEndingXsin

NeverEndingXsin New Member

i would suggest loading a custom rom onto your phone. there's plenty of different ones and there all pretty simple to install.

Also load a custom kernel so you can overclock (make the phone faster) and also allow you to wireless tether (turn it into a router)

after installing a kernel get setcpu from the market which will let you overclock your phone.
  3. canvs2321

canvs2321 New Member

Start by reading about installing sprecovery 99.3b, then make a advanced nandroid backup of your current phone. Then read about installing roms. Theres quite a selection in android 2.0.1 and 2.1 based ROMs. They all have their own styles,settings, abilities. Have fun! and read read read.
  4. bmb0205

bmb0205 New Member

I've read that Pete's Bugless Beast 2.1 ERE25 build v.4 is the best right now. Then I saw that the 2.1 ESE54 Bugless Beast V0.6 was released. Which should I go with?

And if I have 2.0.1 now do I need to do something to allow me to use 2.1?
  5. canvs2321

canvs2321 New Member

The thing is, all roms have their own styles, graphics, settings etc.. but alot of them have the same stuff too. Basically once you've rooted, installed sprecovery, done a backup of your current stable working installation, you can start trying different roms. You can't just go off who's the best, because they all are great, but they have unique ways of doing the same things..get me? :) And to go from a 2.0.1 phone to a 2.1 rom you have to do a nandroid restore of that ROM. after that you can use update.zip(s) to patch, and update to newer versions of that ROM.

and make sure to read changelogs of your different version roms, to see what they changed from say v.4 to v.6, sometimes changes are beta and still unstable, so proceed at caution, and always make sure to do nandroid backups of each installed and stable rom you try, for easy switching of roms. You can have 3 different ROMs on your phone and switch flawlessly between them with recovery. that way you can try before you buy :)
  6. bmb0205

bmb0205 New Member

thanks for the help man.

so basically, right now, I should go install SPRecovery and do the whole nandroid thing?

damn I am so overwhelmed right now haha I really don't want to **** up my phone but this rom stuff sounds awesome. sorry for so many questions. I'm trying to read a lot but a lot of it is confusing since I know nothing of this stuff
  7. canvs2321

canvs2321 New Member

There are tutorials on just about how to do everything.(so don't get overwhelmed or frightened :) ) Yeah get sprecovery 0.99.3b the latest and install it and get flash_image. Are you familiar with using adb? if not I know of a pretty good tutorial on how to install recovery after you have root access and you download terminal emulator(by jack palevich)

and using sprecovery is a key item, you can make perfect backups of stable working roms and you are able to switch back and forth to different saved backups.
  8. bmb0205

bmb0205 New Member

No idea what adb is haha sorry. So you're saying I should have done the SPRecovery before rooting?

edit* oh gotcha I know what adb is now sorry. I'm on rootyourdroid.com reading. Should I install adb first before SPRecovery (remember my droid is already rooted)
  9. canvs2321

canvs2321 New Member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  10. bmb0205

bmb0205 New Member

Alright thanks bro I appreciate all of your time and help. I'm gonna head to rootyourdroid and start reading a ton and hopefully get all of this started tonight so I can finish tomorrow and start with the roms. Thanks again
  11. canvs2321

canvs2321 New Member

Next thing we will do is flash the phone and install SPRecovery.

9. Go to Android Market and install 'Android Terminal Emulator.' It's free. Not Terminal Emulator, not Better Terminal Emulator. Android Terminal Emulator. It's by Jack Palevich. The program will show up as simply "Terminal Emulator" once you install it.

10. Download the file flash_image from here.
    This file should NOT have a file extension!!! Make sure it does not have a file extension of ANY TYPE!!! If you or your computer have added a file extension (some users have reported that their computer added a .txt at the end of the file) it will not work! If you go to download this file and Vista puts a .txt extension on it, simply remove the file extension. Again, you can double check to see what, if any, file extension it has by right clicking the file and choosing properties.

11. Copy 'flash_image' from your computer to the root of your sdcard. Again, if you don't know what the root of your SD card is, please go back to the beginning of this thread.

12. Download the newest version of SPRecovery from Sholes.info here, and copy it to the root of your SD card. Disconnect the phone from the USB cable.

13. Open 'Android Terminal Emulator.' (In the launcher, you will see it is simply called 'Terminal Emulator'.) You will now see a blue screen with command prompt. For those of you only familiar with Windows-based machines, this is very similar to a command or DOS prompt, where you have to manually type in commands instead of clicking on a pretty icon to do all your dirty work.

14. Slide open the keyboard and type 'su' then press 'enter'. You will be prompted to press 'Allow'. Press 'Allow' (and don't forget to check the remember check box). This grants you Superuser Permissions while in Terminal Emulator, or the equivalent as right click > run as administrator in Windows.Your command prompt should change from $ to # to let you know it worked. If it didn't, stop right now because something did not install properly.

15. Type 'mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system' without the quotes. This will make the phone's internal drive writable so that we can copy files to it from the sdcard in the next step. For everything you type in Terminal Emulator you need to make sure you copy EVERYTHING exactly as you see it. Also, remember to hit ENTER at the end of each line. Enter is located RIGHT BELOW the delete key, it is NOT the gold button in the center of the directional pad. It should also be noted that the 'o' is a lower case "oh" NOT a zero. Don't forget the space between 'mtdblock4' and '/system' or you will get an error!!!

16. Type 'dd if=/sdcard/flash_image of=/system/bin/flash_image' without the quotes. It will tell you how many bytes in/out. This copies the flash_image utility to the phones internal drive where we need it. That is all one line...

17. Type 'chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image'. This changes the permissions of flash_image so that we can use it.

18. Type 'sync'.

19. Type '/system/bin/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3.img'. It should be noted that this command is all on one line, not two separate commands. There should be a short pause as the custom recovery image is flashed and then the command prompt will appear again. At this point, the stock recovery screen has now been replaced by the one you will see in steps later on. This recovery image was written by SirPsycoS and is shared by him at sholes.info.

20. Type 'mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.old'. This should prevent the custom recovery from being over-written on reboot. If this step doesn't work for you, skip it. I've haven't witnessed the problem that it is supposed to prevent. bernal125 skipped it without issue. For others, this step has worked without issue.

21. Type 'sync'.

22. Close 'Android Terminal Emulator.' Go the Market and hit menu > Downloads and update EVERY app that you have installed, ESPECIALLY Google Maps. By doing this, you ensure that you have all your programs updated before you make a backup. Additionally, I use MyBackupPro in ADDITION to using the backup method in the following steps. It's a paid app, but it also backs up system settings, etc.

23. Download virginoem-backup.zip . Going back on your computer, extract 'virginoem-backup.zip' so that have you have folder called 'virginoem-backup' with the contents resembling 'boot.img' 'cach.tar' 'data.tar' etc... this is a backup that will get you back to stock (stock as in, you just bought the phone, not as in where you are now) in the event that you need to.

24. Create a folder on the root of your sdcard called 'nandroid'. This folder stores all of your backups that you make so you can choose from them and restore using the recovery screen at a later date.

25. Copy the folder 'virginoem-backup' from your computer to the 'nandroid' folder you just created on your sdcard in step 24. Unplug the USB.

26. Power off the phone.
  12. bmb0205

bmb0205 New Member

wow thanks!
  13. bmb0205

bmb0205 New Member

So right now I have followed the steps in that thread and it's time to download the rom. In that thread it has a link to DL, but is that the most updated bugless? I found this [ROM] 2.1 ESE53 Bugless Beast V0.6 (3/7/10) which has 2.1 ESE53 bugless beast V0.6, can I simply download the nandroid backup from there to use at this step?
  14. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Yes ....that's fine
  15. bmb0205

bmb0205 New Member

Thanks.

Man this is a late night. Last night I was up until 5am messing with my Droid and it looks like it's going to be even later tonight! Gotta love spring break...
  16. bmb0205

bmb0205 New Member

Well that sucks...followed the steps and rebooted after installing and absolutely nothing was changed. What confused me though, in one of the last steps when I install the depreciated file, the progress bar goes about 1/3, stops, and then it says installation complete.
  17. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

You can't install the 2.1 ROMs using the update.zip method, unless you are doing a simple update from a previous 2.1 ROM. You need to use nandroid. You may need to wipe data and cache to do this, so make sure you have backups.
  18. bmb0205

bmb0205 New Member

I did, I used the nandroid backup and not the update
  19. bmb0205

bmb0205 New Member

I think it has to do with the status bar freezing. How long do these installations typically take?
  20. canvs2321

canvs2321 New Member

That page link i sent to you, all you needed was the installing SPrecovery instuctions, that is an older Bugless Beast ROM, I just liked the SPRecovery installation instructions. And you can only use update.zip(s) on which ever version of android you are running. if you are still stock 2.0.1 then you can only use 2.0.1 update.zip(s). To go from 2.0.1 to 2.1, you'd make a nandroid advanced backup to save your current system, then advanced nandroid restore to restore the new data from say BB v.6 or SS 2.0.1 etc...and when I say nandroid restore you need to have a "/nandroid/" folder on your SDCard of your phone.
Search tags for this page
droid 4 is rooted what can i install
droid dna rooted now what do i do

droid rooted now what

droid x2 rooted now what
i roo ted mydroid 3, now what
i rooted my android now what?
i rooted my android so now what
i rooted my android what now

i rooted my droid now what

i rooted my phone now what
rooted 2.3.3 now what