Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Right. It's the .exe of the Android world.

Just don't want to see you break a $400-replacement-cost device when you voided your warranty by rooting it. :)

I asked why you rooted for two reasons -- first and foremost to find out if you were doing it for a specific reason or "just because it's cool" or something like that. Secondly to make sure you knew what you were doing. A lot of people root just because they can, break something, and that never ends well.

If you were trying to accomplish something specific then I would be able to guide you there more directly. :) Hopefully side-loading that app (ignore the .odex unless you need it; if you have issues, try pushing it into the system/app/ directory) will fix your issue.

OP
R

ryanFstrobel

Reaction score
Rock on.

My email address is [email protected]

This droidapp keeps logging me in and out. So not sure how reliable I am at this point. I downloaded the file you sent. Just normally. Should I have placed it somewhere particularly? I'm not sure.

I do have an app installer, but unsure how it works (more so a navigation issue) nor ccan I find the mms.apk file.

Sent from my Ally using DroidForums App

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
What I sent you was a zip file, so you'll have to either access the .apk inside the archive or unzip the file to get at the .apk. Android devices generally download files to the download directory, but the DF app saves it to a tappatalkdroidforums folder directory. If you have any problems, try installing Astro from the market.

Also, if the app just won't work we'll have to move back to putting your stock ROM back on. I have a link for that if you need it. :)

OP
R

ryanFstrobel

Reaction score
Found the files. I only have the open to extract to a location. Where would I extract it to?

And thanks again for your help. All I wanted to do was rid myself of useless apps and utilize the 8 gb I have for storage and not the phone.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Doesn't matter where you put them unless your app installer says otherwise. I use Astro. File manager, works great.

Now that you're rooted, try apps2sd to move stuff to the SD card.

OP
R

ryanFstrobel

Reaction score
For some reason my friend, I am at a wall. I have downloaded apps2sd, can't seem to find it even though its now installed. All I can do is unzip it. Same for the mms.apk.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Okay. You're looking for the folder you saved the .zip to. Once you get in there, you should see the unzipped files, too. If not, just open the .zip and tap the .apk and it should prompt you to install it.

OP
R

ryanFstrobel

Reaction score
When I open them in Astro it just opens the folders.. shows me 5 or 6 files that do nothing..

OP
R

ryanFstrobel

Reaction score
Already tried.

When I extract the files, it more or less expands them. Each file is not readable. Sayd.. file type ko is unknown. Etc.

OP
R

ryanFstrobel

Reaction score
Ok. Any heads up or fair warnings prior to doing this? What all should I back up? Contacts and wanted files?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Just flashing a stock ROM over a stock ROM shouldn't cost you anything except some time and maybe some apps will need updating again -- and it'll break root -- but a backup is never a bad idea.

Titanium Backup free will do all sorts of good things for you at this point. :)

And your contacts should be backed up with Google unless you were being very careful about your privacy settings.