Rooted Lollipop For The Droid Turbo With FrankenPop

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you would like to upgrade to Android 5.1 without losing root or the ability to downgrade back to Kit Kat then Frankenpop is probably for you. Before you go any further you should know that Frankenpop is currently in the testing phase and may not be complete. There are no real directions either here so you kind of need to know what you are doing. Also know that the creator of Frankenpop "mattlgroff" is not responsible for what you do to your device. Head to the link below for more info.

via XDA

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

If you would like to upgrade to Android 5.1 without losing root or the ability to downgrade back to Kit Kat then Frankenpop is probably for you. Before you go any further you should know that Frankenpop is currently in the testing phase and may not be complete. There are no real directions either here so you kind of need to know what you are doing. Also know that the creator of Frankenpop "mattlgroff" is not responsible for what you do to your device. Head to the link below for more info.

via XDA
Now we're talking... Give me all the candy!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well now I might finally take the plunge...question is if my phone will auto-update before I can get money in paypal and do mofo root.

I've been using Xscope as my browser, and it looks like a recent update has made ads overly intrusive, so time to switch browsers or go to adblocker.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well now I might finally take the plunge...question is if my phone will auto-update before I can get money in paypal and do mofo root.

I've been using Xscope as my browser, and it looks like a recent update has made ads overly intrusive, so time to switch browsers or go to adblocker.
If you get the pop-up screen to install the update, make sure to choose "No, maybe later".

7f48415b9e5574c92913dcd13b782693.jpg

Then clear the cache in recovery to wipe it out of storage. Here's a link to the method direct from Motorola but the full instructions are immediately below the link.

Clear Cache Partition

Published 10/20/2014 07:29 PM
Updated 06/30/2015 10:15 AM

How do I clear Cache Partition on my device?

This will remove any temporary files that may be causing the problem, but will not delete your files or settings.

1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release.

2. The device will display differentBOOT OPTIONS

3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL toRecovery and POWER Key to select

Tip: If the device reboots, you may have waited to long to make a selection, you will need to begin the process again.

4. The device will display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress ( logo with Exclamation mark)

5. Press and hold the VOL UP key for 10-15 seconds. While still holding the VOL UP key tap and release the POWER key

Tip: You can try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are stuck on step 6, try a force reboot by pressing the Power key and Vol Down key, and start the process again.

6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in BLUE)

7. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll to wipe cache partition and the POWER Key to select this option

8. The device will then perform the partition wipe

9. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence

Note: This will take as much as 10 minutes since the cache partition and the update file are so large.

PLEASE BE PATIENT AND DO NOT INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS. INSTEAD ALLOW IT TO FINISH AT IT'S OWN PACE. IT MAY BE SAFER FOR THOSE WHO ARE IMPATIENT TO SIMPLY PLACE THE PHONE ON THE TABLE WHILE THE CACHE IS CLEARING AND WALK AWAY FOR A WHILE. PERHAPS GO WATCH TV OR DO SOMETHING ELSE CONSTRUCTIVE FOR 15 MINUTES OR SO, TO ALLEVIATE THE TEMPTATION TO INTERRUPT THE PROCESS.

It will delete the downloaded update by clearing the cache, the phone will then auto-reboot and the nag screen should go away for a while till it auto downloads again. Some have reported that once cache is cleared the OTA will not auto re-download again, and instead the phone will never show the nag screen again. Also it's been reported that after doing this the only way to actually get the OTA (should you wish), is to download direct from the web and install via USB. I can't attest to the accuracy of either but this will at least give you some relief until you can side load the modded version in the original post or another should one come along.

There are also a few different ways described to prevent the phone from ever doing the OTA update, some methods do not even require Root but do require that you use a PC. Apparently using Rootjunky's Debloater tool mentioned in the post below (along with a slight modification to the script), will accomplish this and you don't need root if you're on KitKat. The method to accomplish this is described in this thread over at XDA (Apps to disable for pure Android experience - Post 26 - XDA Forums), and the tool is discussed in the News thread OP from our own esteemed DroidmodderX. See link below.

Debloater Tool For Android Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Either way, make sure you do NOT choose "Yes, I'm in" by accident.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
So I did this method yesterday....received an actual pop-up (vs. just the notification before) TODAY! I declined, and it told me I could get the update any time by going to settings, etc...

Plus, my phone seems to be lagging and having some issues since doing the recovery/clear cache. Could be a coincidence with an update to my launcher or GReader.

Anyway, I'm going to take the Mofo plunge and XDA has a Lollipop image with adblock, viper audio, wireless tether and XPosed.