Rooted for Better Battery Life and Better Radios BUT.....

Johnnyb

Reaction score
This thread has convinced me to keep my GNex I bought last week because there's hope in rooting and ROM'ing to get the phone so decent life. I'm looking at a big battery and case too. I found a Seiko (probably not spelling the correctky) case that houses their 3800 battery in a fairly bullet-proof enclosure.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's lots of places you can download it for free if you do a Google search. I don't mind paying for it, but if I already have the file, I would just prefer to learn how to flash it myself. I just don't know how to use adb or even what it is so I was hoping someone would know how to flash it and could walk me through the process.

EDIT: Its free on their website.

Looks like you already got it going (I'm assuming), but once you have ADB and Fastboot set up it's relatively simple. You just need to put the recovery.img in your fastboot folder (and with your phone in fastboot and connected to your PC) type this into cmd:

fastboot flash recovery "name of your recovery".img (no quotes though)

If you actually need help getting ADB and Fastboot set up, just use SBenson's guide. Just be aware that by using that guide, you'll have to type fastboot-windows (assuming you're on a PC).

???

Reaction score
i mean have to try that cpu spy..

but i know i can't get my screen on time low enough to last like that. plus i like the brightness cranked up.

???

Reaction score
oh and i didn't notice it was a free download officially. and adb is good no know, even thou i haven't messed with it. i just paid for it, i also just got the pair ver of rom manager even thou i didn't need it at all. worth spreading a few bucks around.

OP
b-jammin21

b-jammin21

Reaction score
syndicate0017 said:
Looks like you already got it going (I'm assuming), but once you have ADB and Fastboot set up it's relatively simple. You just need to put the recovery.img in your fastboot folder (and with your phone in fastboot and connected to your PC) type this into cmd:

fastboot flash recovery "name of your recovery".img (no quotes though)

If you actually need help getting ADB and Fastboot set up, just use SBenson's guide. Just be aware that by using that guide, you'll have to type fastboot-windows (assuming you're on a PC).

I never got touch installed, and what I really need help with is adb and fastboot set up. Where can I find benson's guide?

OP
b-jammin21

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Johnnyb said:
This thread has convinced me to keep my GNex I bought last week because there's hope in rooting and ROM'ing to get the phone so decent life. I'm looking at a big battery and case too. I found a Seiko (probably not spelling the correctky) case that houses their 3800 battery in a fairly bullet-proof enclosure.

Definitely worth keeping this beast. I only have the 2100mah extended battery, I am now running AOKP 35 and Franco milestone 3 and I'm getting pretty killer battery life.

View attachment 50073

This was before I synced my POP email and exchange account but I was impressed how much I got out of my battery. If you need any help let me know. I love this phone and wouldn't get any other.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I never got touch installed, and what I really need help with is adb and fastboot set up. Where can I find benson's guide?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ga...-how-unlock-bootloader-root-galaxy-nexus.html

That's his tutorial on how to unlock and root, but it includes getting ADB and Fast boot set up. Did you unlock and root using Wug's tutorial? If so, you should already have ADB and fast boot set up. If that's the case, let me know and I'll help you get it CWM touch flashed.

OP
b-jammin21

b-jammin21

Reaction score
syndicate0017 said:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-nexus-development/186129-how-unlock-bootloader-root-galaxy-nexus.html

That's his tutorial on how to unlock and root, but it includes getting ADB and Fast boot set up. Did you unlock and root using Wug's tutorial? If so, you should already have ADB and fast boot set up. If that's the case, let me know and I'll help you get it CWM touch flashed.

Yes I did use Wugs toolkit to unlock and root. I am just very unfamiliar with ad and fastboot. Thanks a lot for your help.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Alright, first thing's first. You're going to need to place the CWM touch img in your fastboot folder. So copy that file from the location it's at currently and paste it into C:/Wug's_GNexRootToolkit/data. Once that is done, then you need to press "Shift + Right Click" on the folder you just placed your img in. You then need to click "Open Command Prompt Here". Once you've done that, you need to type "fastboot flash recovery "name of your img".img (no quotes).

This is of course is all done with your phone connected to your PC and in fastboot mode. Let me know how it goes.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Alright, first thing's first. You're going to need to place the CWM touch img in your fastboot folder. So copy that file from the location it's at currently and paste it into C:/Wug's_GNexRootToolkit/data. Once that is done, then you need to press "Shift + Right Click" on the folder you just placed your img in. You then need to click "Open Command Prompt Here". Once you've done that, you need to type "fastboot flash recovery "name of your img".img (no quotes).

This is of course is all done with your phone connected to your PC and in fastboot mode. Let me know how it goes.

^^^This is correct. Once you do this, you'll have your Clockwork Touch goodness :)

OP
b-jammin21

b-jammin21

Reaction score

MONEY!!!! Thank you!

I knew it was a relatively simple process, but I didn't know how to use the cmd prompt or what folder to save the file in (let alone what adb is).

Thanks again I really appreciate the help!

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
MONEY!!!! Thank you!

I knew it was a relatively simple process, but I didn't know how to use the cmd prompt or what folder to save the file in (let alone what adb is).

Thanks again I really appreciate the help!

No problem. Glad to hear it worked. Fastboot and ADB was Greek to all of us at some point. Now you know how to help someone else who might be having the same problem.

OP
b-jammin21

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Thanks for the Clockworkmod Touch help, but back to the original topic. (Sorry for hijacking my own thread, haha).

Not only have I noticed an improvement with battery life, but I have also noticed a bit of improvement with the new radios as well.