Rooted Droid X

cece5702

Reaction score
Is it really necessary to root your droid x? What is the purpose anyway? Does it help your phone perform better? Is it dangerous?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I root for only one reason...

...Barnacle.

But I'm sure there are more reasons, this one is just mine.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
There are tons of threads on rooting. Read up on them to see what the benefits and possible drawbacks are.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

BodyBagz

Reaction score
From a "advanced user" level, I would say the 3 most common reasons to root are:

1) Have the use of Tethering without having to pay Verizon additional money for a service pre-built into the phone.

2) The ability to do custom Nandroid type back-ups of the system..this comes into play with the 3rd most common reason to root...

3) Customization...the ability to make your personal device more personal...throwing a new ROM on or adding a new theme pack can change not only the aesthetics of your device, but also add to the overall performance of the device. Having the above back-up means less possibilities of catastrophic pooch-screwing..and if the CPS does occur, you can usually flash a Nandroid and be back up and running in under an hour.

No, you dont really "need" to root. The phone can do a ton of things just the way it came out of the box. Rooting just allows you to do more things, as well as some of the same things better.

In the end, I would suggest you do like what has been suggested previously...test drive your stock DX for a few weeks and then decide if you really do need to root to enjoy your phone more. If then you decide to go forward, then by all means do so..but make sure you have read and understand all that comes with it, that way you are properly prepared...:)

OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful information :)
From a "advanced user" level, I would say the 3 most common reasons to root are:

1) Have the use of Tethering without having to pay Verizon additional money for a service pre-built into the phone.

2) The ability to do custom Nandroid type back-ups of the system..this comes into play with the 3rd most common reason to root...

3) Customization...the ability to make your personal device more personal...throwing a new ROM on or adding a new theme pack can change not only the aesthetics of your device, but also add to the overall performance of the device. Having the above back-up means less possibilities of catastrophic pooch-screwing..and if the CPS does occur, you can usually flash a Nandroid and be back up and running in under an hour.

No, you dont really "need" to root. The phone can do a ton of things just the way it came out of the box. Rooting just allows you to do more things, as well as some of the same things better.

In the end, I would suggest you do like what has been suggested previously...test drive your stock DX for a few weeks and then decide if you really do need to root to enjoy your phone more. If then you decide to go forward, then by all means do so..but make sure you have read and understand all that comes with it, that way you are properly prepared...:)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
BodyBagz summed it up well. But mine goes in a different order
1)Create Backups
2)Customization, ie ROMs and Themes
3)Wireless Tether and i use this RARELY since 3G is slow as cold molasses

Rooting your phone has no effects to whatsoever when you apply it it will function as normal. Rooting just allows you to do the above and use other apps that require rooting. "Normal consumers" dont need to root and i was hesistant to even root but once you do you are hooked. Oh and word of caution, rooting voids your warranty with MOTO and if you send off your phone to get fixed they might reject and/or charge you full retail price.