1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Rooted droid users, need your help!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Seruy, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Seruy

Seruy New Member

I'm new here and would like to get into the whole android scene (currently WinCE user). Anyways, I've been following the news about the rooting process and now that it has been done I have a few questions that I hope this great community can help me answer.

First off, I'm a USCC customer, and many of you may know that they are notorious for not having great phones and that it takes them ~ to 2 years to get hot ones. I'm sure that Verizon has some rights to the Motorola Droid (CDMA version at least) and USCC is not going to have it any time soon... so one of my questions would be - since the Droid had been rooted, can one "reflash" it to use with US Cellular's network? I know that some features might not work, etc. If yes, what exactly do I need in order to achieve a working phone, carrier info such as txt, mms, roaming list (PRL)...?

I browsed through a lot of different forums that supposedly had people "flashing" Droid to Cricket, but no one was able to provide any proof or information on the whole process. Some did mention that the settings for the carrier did not stick and had to be re-entered everytime you reboot the phone. Has anyone seen or heard anything about that being done?

Another issue that I would like to clear up is the IMEI/ESN number. Some say that USCC is no longer activating phones that are not theirs, not branded by USCC. If that is the case, has anyone successfully changed IMEI/ESN number on the Droid? I've seen many people arguing that IMEI/ESN is hard-coded into the chip, just like a MAC address, etc. Well, on most of the hardware that I have/use I can change the MAC one way or another, GUI, telnet or SSH. I've seen IMEIs being changed on Motorola RAZR/ RIM Blackberries, so I'd think that one should be able to change it on Droid. Now, let me make it clear that I would change the IMEI to my current phone's one, in order to "trick" USCC and actually use the Droid without their lectures (I also know that it is illegal to change IMEI in many countries, but since I'm doing this to myself there's no one getting hurt, actually getting happier if you will). I think this is it for now, I would greatly appreciate any input on this and hope that at least some of the question get answered. Thanks again for taking the time to read this essay, cheers. :0)
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

Does USCC have Android phones? I didn't think they did. For this to be even remotely possible, you'd need a capable Android device. Even then, it'd be a clusterfart of problems most likely. If you are unhappy with USCC, you can always make the switch to Verizon.
  3. eNonsense

eNonsense New Member

I used to work for US Cellular and still had their service up until I got my droid through verizon. I can tell you now that US Cellular has always had the policy of only activating US Cellular phones on accounts. This is pretty much standard practice in all carriers. When they activate a phone through their system there is a list of phones that they can choose from to activate, so if the phone isn't on that list, you're not using it.

I've heard about ESN hacking in the past but that seems like a huge headache that I wouldn't want to get into to use a phone that probably wont even work properly on their network.

If I were you I'd just wait for your contract to end and switch. There may even be a better phone than the droid out by then. The next awesome android phone is always just around the corner.
  4. Seruy

Seruy New Member

Thanks for reply guys. The thing is that I am happy with their service that's why I'm actually considering doing all this to be able to use the phone that I can't otherwise.
Search tags for this page

android rooting clear esn

change esn rooted android
change imei on droid x
clone us cellular to droid x2
droid razr root esn change
esn rooting
how to activate rooted us cellular phone

how to change esn on rooted android

jailbroken driod dna switch to u.s cellular
root android esn changer
rooted droid razr change imei