Rooted Droid Pro with GB: Wi-fi tethering?

StingRay

Reaction score
Not sure what you experienced with GB, but when I tried to tether after loading the rooted GB, I was directed to the webpage telling me that I need to be subscribed to the $20 hotspot in order to tether....at that point my Pro was basically "locked down" and couldn't do anything with it until I did a battery pull...

This apparently is the norm for anyone trying to tether on Gingerbread...GB evidently will not allow for any rooted tethering using wireless tether...

with all of the custom ROMs available on other phones, I'm sure some dev has discovered a way around this for GB-based ROMs, but unfortunately with little development going on with the Droid Pro, I'm not sure if we'll see a workaround...

google123

Reaction score
I'm on rooted GB and was directed to VZW page. When I had CM7 which I believe is GB based, Wifi Tether worked just fine and didn't direct me to VZW page. Hmm.....

OP
R

^Rb

Reaction score
I'm on rooted GB and was directed to VZW page. When I had CM7 which I believe is GB based, Wifi Tether worked just fine and didn't direct me to VZW page. Hmm.....

Did you do the Gingerbread OTA update and then root? Or did you use the TBH app?

I used the TBH app and never got the Verizon page. However, my wireless tether app does not work.

Once CM7 becomes a little more usable, I'm just gonna go that route, but until then, I may go back to Froyo just so I can get wifi tether...

StingRay

Reaction score

I'll give CM7 a try once farther along if that is the case then...I had seen comments on other forums for other devices with the same Gingerbread tethering problem...hoping devs have found a way around this...

tennvol

Reaction score
That and the non functioning keyboard backlight made me go back to froyo

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

jadraxx

Reaction score
ugh... i just spent a better part of a day flashing my phone back to the original so i can use the tbh root to find out that the tether doesn't work... i am highly enraged right now... *grumbles* looks like i'm going back to froyo and sticking with that =\

jadraxx

Reaction score
ugh... i just spent a better part of a day flashing my phone back to the original so i can use the tbh root to find out that the tether doesn't work... i am highly enraged right now... *grumbles* looks like i'm going back to froyo and sticking with that =\

also, i tired the tbh patches. both droid 2 and droid x both with no avail...

chinkster

Reaction score
I just noticed that it doesn't work anymore for me either...

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

jadraxx

Reaction score
I just noticed that it doesn't work anymore for me either...

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

bummer dude. If you need to go back your going to need to get the 3.8.7 SBF Image and flash your phone with RSDLite. That's what I did. Tethering is way too important to me to lose it. It keeps me from having to pay for internet stuck at airport for work. I travel 30 some odd weeks out of the year. Verizon can suck my balls if they expect me to pay an extra free for something that should be free...

gqiq

Reaction score
bummer dude. If you need to go back your going to need to get the 3.8.7 SBF Image and flash your phone with RSDLite. That's what I did. Tethering is way too important to me to lose it. It keeps me from having to pay for internet stuck at airport for work. I travel 30 some odd weeks out of the year. Verizon can suck my balls if they expect me to pay an extra free for something that should be free...

Just so you guys know, EasyTether via USB has worked for me in rooted TBH Gingerbread. Really don't want to flash back to froyo, gbread has been to fast for me to go back...

jadraxx

Reaction score
I'll be sure to remember that when I buy my Droid Charge in a couple months... really don't reel like going through the upgrade process again with gingerbread...

coopmatt80

Reaction score
Has anybody been able to get Wi-fi tethering working after upgrading to Gingerbread?

I ROOT'd with the TBH app, and historically, I've used the following: android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

(which worked perfectly fine on Froyo)

But it doesn't appear to be working with G-bread...

Any ideas? Thanks!

OK, got it to work. dancedroid

I used the latest android-wifi-tether (beta 6). In the settings go to "Device Profile" and change it to Motorola Droid X, then connect. After you connect toggle the Pro into airplane mode and toggle it off again. You should be able to surf and will not get the "Verizon" pay wall. I know its one added step, but it's a whole lot easier and cheaper then paying $20+ more a month...

andy'sfriend

Reaction score
OK, got it to work. dancedroid

I used the latest android-wifi-tether (beta 6). In the settings go to "Device Profile" and change it to Motorola Droid X, then connect. After you connect toggle the Pro into airplane mode and toggle it off again. You should be able to surf and will not get the "Verizon" pay wall. I know its one added step, but it's a whole lot easier and cheaper then paying $20+ more a month...

In case anyone wanted to know, the newest build of CM7 (902), which is based on the gingerbread kernel, DOES allow tethering. I know this means you need to change over to CM7, but it's an option.