rooted droid phones

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You worry too much. :) There are hundreds of rooted/overclocked Droids and no one has fried anything. And some people have really pushed it.

Alright,I'm going to go for it. All I need is your credit card number to buy a new Droid if mine melts from going so fast. :)

I've been reading about it for a couple weeks now. Each of the various ROM's all seem to have some kind of issue though....some where the LED notification only works when the phone is sleeping, some where the landscape to portrait doesn't always work, some where the keyboard doesn't light up, and so on. Is there one without any of those hassles?

-Mike

Well, you aren't too far off with the credit card remark. On another forum there were so many naysayers warning about bricked phones caused by rooting and overclocking that I made the statement that I would buy any bricked phone they came up with. Now, I didn't quote a price, but I was totally sure that since I started reading all the Droid forums in the middle of November, I've not read of a single phone that was truly bricked by rooting or overclocking. There were a number of folks that thought they had bricked their phones, but I think every one of the phones was resuscitated. Anyway, no one contacted me about buying their bricked phone.

I think nearly all of the main roms are now very stable. I've been running Bugless Beast since sometime in early January and I've had very, very few problems. However, when you are changing this much about a phone there will be isolated problems here and there. Our phones are not all the same. The components all have slight manufacturing differences and there are slight assembly differences and on top of all that, we treat our phones differently and we load different apps and we have different settings. Considering all that, it's pretty amazing that we don't more issues. But I will say that if the rom runs on your droid, the odds are that you will have no or perhaps minor issues. On mine the only issue I've had that couldn't be fixed is the temp reading from the chip is not recording properly. The battery temp is fine, but not the chip temp. that's a minor issue.

There was originally some confusion about the Bugless Beast 7.5 and 7.6 not rotating to landscape mode while on the home screens. But that feature was actually taken out by Pete because he got more complaints about the rotation. So out it came.

My phone has been more stable with Pete's roms than when it was stock.

MJ5150

Reaction score
I did it. Rooted my phone and flashed BB 7.6. Wasn't super impressed with the new appearance and performance until I installed SetCPU.

Now, I am very impressed. This is awesome. With the news Pete got his hands on the 2.1 OTA update, exciting times are ahead for rooted users.

-Mike