rooted droid phones

Discussion in 'Android Forum' started by coreyb1972, Feb 18, 2010.

1. coreyb1972

coreyb1972 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am a amateur at using my Droid, should I be at all interested in rooting my Motorola droid

2. yourhero88

yourhero88 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  3. joeymoose

joeymoose Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Decisions are to be made personally, I use my Droid so I rooted it. No one here can tell you to do it or not.

The choice is your's....

4. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    Depends on how heavy you are going to get into it/the Droid. Rooting does open up some new avenues, but there is a very steep learning curve. I spent probably a week reading about root and overclocking before I did it. I love rooting because 1) it has made the Droid as fast as I thought it should have been, 2) I have the time to study about rooting and overclocking until I did understand it, 3) I got access to things otherwise not available (overclocking, wifi tethering, etc.). 4) I enjoy hotrodding every thing (cars, motorcycles, phones, computers, etc.) I did it strictly so I could overclock.

If you are satisfied with your phone's performance, then no you probably should not root.

5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I dunno.....I think I caved in to peer pressure.:D

But if that rumored 2.1 ever does show up I will go back to stock.

6. joeymoose

joeymoose Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I Rooted so I wouldn't have to rely on Verizon/MOTO/Google. With all these custom ROM's and rooted apps. Plus, Wifi tether is such a plus!

The Eris will get 2.1 before the Droid....

Pete, Chevy, and Adam update enough to justify rooting...

7. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    At first, I was not interested. However, as soon as I began spending all day and night reading articles on this forum I changed my mind. So, last Sunday, after I took my wife out for Valentines Day, at 11 PM I began the ROOTING process! I get very cautious when modifying system privileges but, thanks to the excellent instructions from Matth3W, I successfully made the transition.

The downside, I keep reading and wanting to go to the next step.

Be warned this is habit forming!

8. meekless

meekless Member

Ratings:
    +0
    just a suggestion, but take your time and read over the forum and other websites for info. i too took my time and read info on rooting for almost a month before I did root.

I took time messing around with the SDK and pushing new boot animations first (which doesnt require root) to get some idea of how things work. i too also like to tinker and mess with things (sometimes to my downfall) so this time I took my time!

I personally like the fact you can OC the thing and make it as fast and smooth as it should have been. Some of the ROM's have the option of leaving off certain apps (the damn Corpcal) and adding ones from 2.1 ROM (gallery and music). Little things like the HQ tweak with youtube. and my fav thing, the ability to use Metamorph and change just about every visual aspect of the phone.

If you have a good image editor like photoshop, you can even change the images yourself and create something totally new.
    I included a couple of screen shots, the battery icon, the launcher icons, and the transparent signal strength bars, were items i made myself.

9. G8TR

G8TR Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Been reading about rooting for a over a month. Finally broke down today and rooted my droid. Can't believe how fast it is and all the 2.1 updates in the different roms. Thanks Guys! :icon_ banana:

10. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Good for you! Now the real fun begins.

Mike

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing that concerns me about doing the OC'ing is what kind of affect it will have on the phone. I worry it will fry the processor or cause other damage.

-Mike

12. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    You worry too much. :) There are hundreds of rooted/overclocked Droids and no one has fried anything. And some people have really pushed it.

13. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,664
    First of all I take offense to the remark about motorola; they are working hard to get a quality 2.1 update. Day in and day out they do all that they can to get the update out to us. Was not the 2.01 update the best thing since sliced bread. What you already want another update, they just updates it a couple of months ago, and the phone has only been out since november. So all you complaining on facebook and crying on the forums opening new thread everyday about when 2.1 will be released. Be grateful for what you have, people in haiti and other 3rd world counties are starving to death and we crying about an update. ....J/K lol

For real I enjoy my rooted phone but rooting is not for everyone. Do the research and you will be fine if you choose to go that route.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright,I'm going to go for it. All I need is your credit card number to buy a new Droid if mine melts from going so fast. :)

I've been reading about it for a couple weeks now. Each of the various ROM's all seem to have some kind of issue though....some where the LED notification only works when the phone is sleeping, some where the landscape to portrait doesn't always work, some where the keyboard doesn't light up, and so on. Is there one without any of those hassles?

-Mike

15. sdwyatt916

sdwyatt916 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    can i ask you Meekless how did u get your dialpad to look the way it does in your thumbnails? or if anyone else knows?