Rooted Droid- Major Problems

jesslca113

Reaction score
I recently had a friend help me root my phone. Since then I've had nothing but problems. First of all the sync icon is constantly in the notification bar, and I can't figure out why its there. My battery life is almost non existent. I have to charge my phone all day long. My second problem is with my GMail. It syncs, but it will not sync after I read my mail. It will still tell me that I have 4 new messages when I check my email on the computer. Can anyone help me fix this or should I just go back and do a factory reset?

johnnyb15613

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
1. What ROM are you running?
2. What Kernal?
3. Is Busybox operational?
4. Did you Wipe Data AND Cache before flashing current ROM?

Last edited:

martytoo

Reaction score
Do you use a task killer? If so uninstall it (at least temporarily) and see if that doesn't help your battery issue.

Have you tried deleting your gmail account on the phone and then reentering the details?

b-jammin21

Reaction score
I've been having problems with my rooted droid as well, and I can't seem to figure out a fix...

I rooted using easy root, and I am currently running UD8 (I love all the features) with its stock kernel. However, my problem is a bit different than the OP. My phone likes to freeze A LOT. Most of it happens after my phone boots up. Freeze. Pull battery, boot up. Freeze. I leave it alone for about 15 minutes, it sometimes will automatically reboot itself, and then possibly freeze again. It's getting very frustrating, as this is a brand new droid I just got last week from asurion. I love being rooted, but not if I can't use my phone half the time because it's frozen.

I'm not sure what busybox is or does, but I do wipe my data and cache every time I install a new ROM. Any suggestions for my issue? Thanks guys.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I recently had a friend help me root my phone. Since then I've had nothing but problems. First of all the sync icon is constantly in the notification bar, and I can't figure out why its there. My battery life is almost non existent. I have to charge my phone all day long. My second problem is with my GMail. It syncs, but it will not sync after I read my mail. It will still tell me that I have 4 new messages when I check my email on the computer. Can anyone help me fix this or should I just go back and do a factory reset?

A factory reset will not remove the root from your Droid. It may however, fix your issues. It's worth a try.

I'm going to move this to a more appropriate area.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

Yes, we can help you fix it! As previously asked -- what ROM are you running? Did you get a kernel flashed in? If so, what kernel? Did you theme it? What custom recovery image are you running?

Oh, and :welcome: to the forum! :)

I've been having problems with my rooted droid as well, and I can't seem to figure out a fix...

I rooted using easy root, and I am currently running UD8 (I love all the features) with its stock kernel. However, my problem is a bit different than the OP. My phone likes to freeze A LOT. Most of it happens after my phone boots up. Freeze. Pull battery, boot up. Freeze. I leave it alone for about 15 minutes, it sometimes will automatically reboot itself, and then possibly freeze again. It's getting very frustrating, as this is a brand new droid I just got last week from asurion. I love being rooted, but not if I can't use my phone half the time because it's frozen.

I'm not sure what busybox is or does, but I do wipe my data and cache every time I install a new ROM. Any suggestions for my issue? Thanks guys.

Sounds like a kernel issue. Try a different kernel or a different ROM. Are you running SetCPU? If so, what's the minimum speed you have your CPU set at? Is the back of the phone hot? How many times do you wipe between ROM changes? Have you had this issue under any other ROMs?

b-jammin21

Reaction score

Yes, we can help you fix it! As previously asked -- what ROM are you running? Did you get a kernel flashed in? If so, what kernel? Did you theme it? What custom recovery image are you running?

Oh, and :welcome: to the forum! :)

Sounds like a kernel issue. Try a different kernel or a different ROM. Are you running SetCPU? If so, what's the minimum speed you have your CPU set at? Is the back of the phone hot? How many times do you wipe between ROM changes? Have you had this issue under any other ROMs?

I'm thinking it could be a kernel issue, because I tried several Chevy kernels and they made the problem worse. Right now I am currently installing BBv0.5, and we'll see how that works out. I am not using set CPU, would you recommend it? The back of the phone tends to get quite warm, but I wouldn't say HOT by any means. I have BatteryBooster app, and I think the highest the temp has gotten was like 107 F. I wipe one data and cache one time between ROM changes. I have tried all ROMs on my previous phone, and when I flashed back to stock on that one, it still froze on boot up. Therefore, I got this replacement and have had the same issue, but I have only tried UD8.

Thanks a million for the help, and I will be sure to let you know how BB runs for me.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
SetCPU lets you control how fast the phone goes, so it's recommended for any rooted install. Allowing your phone to run at, say, 400MHz max with the screen off saves a lot of juice and lets the CPU cool off.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
So I installed BB earlier. It wasn't any better. It took about 20-25 mins to get through the initial setup for my phone after the install due to freezes and reboots. Finally, after I got through it, my contacts, apps, etc. did not repopulate. Therefore I just went back to UD8. I don't want to have to re-add all of my contacts, etc manually...I will try some others to see if my phone likes any other ones....

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help and quick responses.

I am always sure to keep this box checked, and for every other rom/activation I have done, the my contacts have always populated because I have them backed up in my gmail account. However, for some reason they didn't populate when I install BB 0.5. I may try to flash it again tomorrow and see if it works.

OP
J

jesslca113

Reaction score
Well I'm really dumb when it comes to all of this, thats why I was hoping my friend could fix it. Where do I find out what ROM I have? I've looked in the about phone section and cannot find anything. Kernel version is 2.6.32.9-g103d848 android-build@apa26 #1 I guess I should have never messed with it considering I don't know what I'm doing! :(

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
You're looking for the Settings> About Phone and scroll to the bottom. Is there a Mod Version in there? If not, what's the Android version and build number? That kernel is the stock kernel, so I doubt it's causing the issue.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Well I'm really dumb when it comes to all of this, thats why I was hoping my friend could fix it. Where do I find out what ROM I have? I've looked in the about phone section and cannot find anything. Kernel version is 2.6.32.9-g103d848 android-build@apa26 #1 I guess I should have never messed with it considering I don't know what I'm doing! :(

Sorry for stealing your spotlight jessIca, I just didn't want to have to start another thread. On some roms, it says which one you are running in the about phone section, but others may not. For instance, UD8, which I'm running, does not say it in about phone under my settings, although in my settings menu, it gives me another option for Ultimate Droid Settings. Maybe try to look for something like that. Try downloading rom manager and downloading a few different roms to see which one helps your issue. I'm no rescue squad, but that would be my recommendation. Hopefully someone else can give you a little more advice.