Rooted d2 global.....

slimpirudude

Reaction score
I just rooted my global with z4root.
Now I would like to know what are the cool things I can/ should do.

I also am looking for info on making complete backup. And info on how to use it if later I need to restore. Thanks

sent from my droid 2 global using droidforums app

biknut1

Reaction score
Post Rooting

I just rooted my global with z4root.
Now I would like to know what are the cool things I can/ should do.

I also am looking for info on making complete backup. And info on how to use it if later I need to restore. Thanks

sent from my droid 2 global using droidforums app

First thing- go find and download Koush's Bootstrap App. It's pay on the market, but there is a free version somewhere. Search on here.

With Bootstrap you can make a backup of your phone that is mostly stock, and can revert back to it if needed later on. You can use Bootstrap to install ROM's, but it isn't always necessary. But most of all you need it to allow access to some secret hidden depths of your phone if you want to do anything with it after you root it. Download this first.

Then install an app freezer. Most folks on here swear by Titanium Backup (pay version) but I have so far used AntTek Free. There are lists on here about which Moto apps you can freeze to stop sucking life out of your battery and make your phone much more efficient.

If your battery life is less than you expected (like everyone's is!) go to the sticky and read My Battery Life Writeup. It tells you some Settings to tweak, Some apps to freeze, and some profiles for Set CPU. All of these make your phone cooler/faster/better, and your battery will last much longer in the process.

After that, if you so desire, you can install Fission 2.4.3. It is the most user-friendly and stable for the D2G right now, and has a download manager/installer that makes it even easier than using Bootstrap. Along with Fission, you can test-drive some different themes to make your ROM have different looks.

Oh- whether rooted or not one other thing you can do is install a different home launcher. Do a search on the market for launchers. The two most popular are ADW and Launcher Pro. There are free & paid versions of most of these. There is also Go Launcher, LiveHome. Oh yeah- if you want to download any of the themes that go with these, you have to have that particular launcher first. With these you can change the number of home screens you have, change the look of the dock (at the bottom with the little icons), change transitions, and much more.

Read the stickies over and over, search posts for the particular step you are at and read them over and over. Ask some questions here, just like this one. Get all the info you can. Then, sit down and start doing some of this stuff!

One more recommendation- if you haven't done so yet, download RSD Lite 4.9 with drivers, and the latest SBF file for the D2G (I think it is named D2WE for World Edition, meaning it is global). You need these on your computer. If you crash/trash/brick/kick/curse/throw your phone because something screwed up, these are your last hope come-throughs! They can recover pretty much anything except loosing your phone off the top of your car at freeway speeds, or maybe taking it deep-sea diving with you.

Good luck- let us know how it turns out!