Rooted D1 Help

jeter10

Reaction score
Hi all,

I rooted my phone tonight with the one click Z4 which I read about on Facebook. Where do I get ROMs from (the market) or websites and then I download them using my USB? I'm fairly new to Droid so I'm not familiar with rooting, capabilities and ROMs. What cool things can I get and do with a rooted Droid 1?

I have 2.2, kernel version 2.6 32.9-g874c292. Build # FRG22D

Thanks for any help you can give me.
:icon_ banana:

ballmore

Reaction score
you can download most roms right off of this site. Just go to Forums>Custom Roms. Start reading through the list of available roms and pick one that appeals to you. No matter what though you will want to make a backup of your current phone's settings. Just starting out you don't need to make it hard for yourself. Download Rom Manager from the market. It'll help you make either a SPrecovery or ClockworkMod Recovery. Also download Titanium Backup and use it to backup all of your apps and system data. DO THE BACKUPS BEFORE FLASHING A ROM AND THEME. If you mess up flashing you will be able to go back to the previous state if you have a backup. If you save your apps you won't have to find them again in the market.
Rom Manager does provide roms to flash (although not my favorite one :blackdroid:). When I first started out I used it to flash CyanogenMod, Simply Stunning, Liquid Froyo, Bugless Beast, Lithium Mod, and Shadowrom. From that list the top 3 would have to be Shadowrom, ChevyNo1's Simply Stunning, and ofcourse CyanogenMod. The free version gives you limited access but will help you get started. The paid version is well worth the money.
Remember > DO THE BACKUPS OF YOUR APPS AND ORIGINAL STOCK ROM BEFORE FLASHING A ROM AND THEME.

lerit50

Reaction score
I would also read a lot before you root. I rooted back in may but didn't know anything about rooting so I went back to stock. I rooted again a week ago to ovc my phone.

So basically, read all around this site before you decide to root, that way you can make sure you don't mess up and be scared and run back to stock like I did.

OP
J

jeter10

Reaction score
WOW, thanks so much. I'm pretty good with technology and I got scared off when I couldn't find my gmail contacts but finally found them. Once I couldn't find my apps icon, I freaked out and went back to stock. I'll do some reading and then try again. I will certainly back it up this time first.

Thanks so much for the great feedback. I appreciate the non-technical terms as I'm not familiar with this type of stuff.

You guys are the best.
Take care and I'll get back to you once I get the courage up to do this again.
dancedroid

OP
J

jeter10

Reaction score
Hi guys, OK, I've decided rooting isn't for me. I did back up my Droid on my computer so how would I go about getting back to factory stock? I did system restore, wiped the cache and now I get an error message saying the android keyboard (process com.google.android.inputmethod.latin) has stopped unexpectedly. I have the Droid plugged back into my computer, copied everything over to the Droid but still no luck (keyboard error message). Am I screwed? I did make a backup so there must be a solution. If not, I'll just get a new phone.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Why isn't rooting for you? :)

Did you install a ROM that didn't work very well or something?

As for going back to stock, there are multiple options, but rather than go that route let's see if we can make you a happy rooted user. :)

OP
J

jeter10

Reaction score
I would really like to do it successfully but I think I've really screwed up my Droid. I did the Z4 easy root b/c, followed the instructions, bought ROM manager premium, downloaded a ROM and now I forget what it was b/c I'm annoyed. Anywhooooo, if you can help, that would be great. I have no idea why it's not working well but I've done the system restore, etc... and now my Droid it stuck on the screen with the hand that moves over to the Droid guy but that keyboard error message comes up. Without a keyboard, what can I do?
:icon_eek:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
There's a way past that, but what I'm going to suggest you do instead is pull the battery and and get back into recovery, do a 3x wipe each of system data and data cache, as in do one three times then the other, restore your backup, and then boot into the OS.

What ROM were you trying to install?

OP
J

jeter10

Reaction score
Thanks very much. I'll try that now. So I'll wipe the cache and system restore 3 times and then reboot, correct? I forget the name of the ROM now. I tried to download Ultimate Droid but I got an error message. I tried another one from ROM manager premium (it wasn't a premium ROM though). Since I really new to this and have no idea what I'm doing, we'll need to go slowly. But I'm willing to keep it rooted, if possible. Stand by...

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Another suggestion -- clear your download cache every time you try to download anything from ROM Manager, and some people have better luck with WiFi if it's available over 3G.

Personally I do everything manually. :) But I'm like that. ;)

OP
J

jeter10

Reaction score
I just sent you a private message on this. Thanks again for your help!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another suggestion -- clear your download cache every time you try to download anything from ROM Manager, and some people have better luck with WiFi if it's available over 3G.

Personally I do everything manually. :) But I'm like that. ;)

Earlier tonight,I help another member who was having difficulty with 3G he went to wifi and all worked well.

I prefer installing as much as I can myself, also.

Mike

OP
J

jeter10

Reaction score
Thanks folks but I'm still stuck. I tried the 3x wipe but there's no backup on my Droid, just factory restore and then it brings me right back to the screen with the keyboard error. I do have a backup on my computer (before I rooted it) but I have no idea (without step by step instructions) on how to move the info from my computer to my Droid. I've tried to copy (drag) from my MacBook folder named Droid to the "no name" which is my Droid when it's plugged into my Mac but still no luck. It did copy all of the files which took about 5 minutes but still the keyboard error screen... This might be a lost cause but if you can help, I would greatly appreciate it. I do understand if it's too much work for you to type it up so if that's the case, we go to plan B. New Droid and I won't mess with it... :icon_eek:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Mac Book Pro and a rooted Droid. If I understand correctly you rooted with Z4 and have Rom Manager.

Did you flash clockwork or SPRecovery?

If you are using clockwork then you use RM to download and install the rom all via your phone. If you opted for SPR then you download a rom to your MBP rename to update.zip and copy to your SD card.

What option are you using?