rooted but want to try a new rom.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by irishdroid, Mar 9, 2010.

1. irishdroid

irishdroid New Member

Okay, I am rooted using droidmod, but, I want to try smoked glass. Here is my issue. I have connected my Droid to my PC twice, first time my screen went black and never came back. Second time I somehow wiped out my SD card. Needless to say my Droid has not been attached to it since. Is it possible to download Roms straight to the Droid and not attach it to my PC? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
  2. alienware777

alienware777 New Member

You need your sdcard to hold the rom. How else are you going to install it?
  3. irishdroid

irishdroid New Member

Droidmod was put on not being attached to my PC. Can't I link to it on my Droid browser and save it to the SD card.?
  4. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/25263-seen-some-questions-here-video-droidmod.html

post164

Before you start make sure u back up your data and apps. Install a backup like titanium backup makes your life easier

Thanks droid life for making this vid, give them some love

follow this first
    the main request i've received over the last week has been "can you show us how to install a custom rom?!?" and today i finally had a chance to put a video together. in this video we chose to use Blackdroid's new Ultimate Droid 5.0 over Bugless Beast, but as i've noted in the video, the installation instructions are the same for both so please after this video, do not ask me to do another video for Bugless.
    *warning time* - as always, you are performing these tasks at your own risk. we are not recommending that you do ANY of these, but simply providing information to you. there is a chance you could brick your phone or do other permanent damage so please do as much research as you can beforehand.​
    before we get started - you need to make sure you've rooted your phone. the best way to do that is by using droidmod1.0 or through this video. you should also install the droidmod1.0 rom which this video will show you how to do. after you've completed those 2 steps, you need to download the file below and then it's on to the video or step-by-step instructions...

download: ultimate droid 5.0 (alt link) (alt link2)

step by step instructions
    step-by-step instructions...
    Nandroid Backup Installation Instructions:
    -Update & backup any files you wish to restore, this will wipe /data
    -Extract the files from the archive using WinRAR or a similar program
    -Place the extracted folder (the ROM) into the "nandroid" folder on your sdcard
    -Reboot into recovery mode (hold the power and "x" button at the same time)
    -Wipe data/factory reset
    -Wipe cache partition
    -Backup/Restore
    -Advanced Nandroid Restore
    -Choose backup (select the ROM) "ultimatedroid5"
    -Perform Restore
    -Enjoy!​
    *note 1* update 3/4 - to get back to stock - in theory you should be able to get back to droidmod1.0 by booting into recovery and choosing one of the nandroid backups that droidmod created during its install. once you get back to that recovery image, you should then be able to install droidmod1.0 again and revert back to stock. (any rom pros want to weigh in on that logic?)

*note 2* - for all the support in the world on this rom, visit Blackdroid's running thread here.

*note 3* - metamorph tutorial in the works still.

*note 4* - "will i receive the 2.1 ota official update if i do this?" answer is "no."

Nevitt New Member

Do you have SBrecovery installed?

If so then yeah I would download one of the update.zip files with one of the new roms you want and use astro file manager to move it to the sdcard directory.

Then boot into recovery and install the update.
  6. alienware777

alienware777 New Member

Sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you meant you didn't want the SD card connected to your droid as well. What you said would work for holding the rom, but follow pilots advice for loading it up.
  7. irishdroid

irishdroid New Member

I have the nandroid backup that came with droidmod. Am I still safe? If so, I just link to the rom, download it and use astro to move it to the SD card and then reboot into recovery and select the update file?
  8. irishdroid

irishdroid New Member

Okay, I linked to ultimatedroid downloaded it and now I'm stuck. I have sprecovery and went into recovery mode. It looks like my only option is for droidmod. Ultimatedroid is on my SD card do I extract it in astro to make it show up in recovery to select it? I don't want to go any further until I get some advice....