Rooted but No Recovery

Azurikai

Reaction score
NO NEED TO CONTINUE HELPING

Thanks for all of the attempts but I ordered a new device from Asurion today.

I followed the steps to RSDLite root my droid(just got a replacement) and it does everything, installs the update.zip when i install it in SPRecovery.

RSDLite Guide I followed; http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

BUT When I turn my phone on for the first time and attempt to boot into SPRecovery again it just sticks at the M logo.

It also sticks at the M logo when I attempt to install ClockworkMod as a new recovery, through Rom Manager, nothing seems to be working.

Is there any fix for this?

I tried installing an install-recovery.sh script I found as well through the terminal and that did nothing.

Any help?

Thanks.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Could you please be more specific as to which guide you're using? There's two different main ways for using RSD Lite to root the phone with about a million different posts about how to do it. And how are you trying to install CMRecovery? As installing CMRecovery doesn't usually involve being where you would be 'booting' your phone.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
after the sbf finished and at the start of it booting did you do a battery pull and booted into recovery as it stated.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
because once you get into sprecovery you can manually install a custom/stock rom and you will be all set.

OP
Azurikai

Azurikai

Reaction score
It says no tar archives found. But I've definitely converted the .zip to .tar for CM6.1 RC4.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Well, since you changed your situation from boot loop to not booting lets see where we can go from here. Have you tried to boot manually into recovery?

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
You do that by powering off the phone, sliding out the keyboard, pressing and holding down the 'x' key while you power the phone back on.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
If that doesn't work or it still hangs on the 'M', go ahead and power the phone on normally. Then go to rom manager, and try flashing "Alternate recovery" (found at the bottom) which flashes SPRecovery, then flash the CMRecovery again. If you don't get a 'flashed successful' within a second or two do it all over until you get it to stick.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
And if that doesn't work, one of my favorites is to flash an older version of CMRecovery, somewhere around 1.8.x.x and just use that one once or twice before updating to the latest CMRecovery.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Oh and you should just leave the CM ROM as it was when you downloaded it instead of converting it from a .zip to a .tar as that not how you would install it with SPRecovery. That's what I don't like about SPRecovery. Nobody writes roms anymore for that function within SPRecovery. The way to install all the roms these days with SPRecovery is to rename them to 'update.zip' then use the "allow update.zip install" function then use the "install update.zip" function.

good luck

OP
Azurikai

Azurikai

Reaction score
I've done all of that, I tell you I'm not an idiot.

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
You don't use clockwork if you flashed sprecovery on your phone. It's a different method than sprecovery. I would try just relashing the file on your phone using rsd lite. Also, depending on how your computer is programmed, you may have to only name it update. If your computer hides the file extension(.zip) as in it's not at the end of the name of the file, then only rename it update.