Rooted but need upgrade..what to do?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by 408_grow, Dec 16, 2010.

1. 408_grow

408_grow New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ladies and gents,

I have never used this droidforums app before so bare with me if this is not in the proper location.I just have a quick question,I am rooted but don't have any custom roms..in other words I am just stock but rooted..I basically just rooted to have wifi tethering..I keep getting the notification on top to system upgrade..do I do this?I did do it on accident and nothing happened..it took me to the screen I saw with the big android when I was rooting and then nothing happened..what can I do?how do I upgrade my system then root?thank you very much in advance..and if this is already taken care of sorry I've been busy with my new move to a new location.

Thanks,

Grow

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  2. dasanman69

dasanman69 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Its definitely the correct place. I was rooted using z4root and accepted the 2.2.1 update and promptly lost root. Z4root was unable to reroot, but I was able to achieve root using the superoneclick found over at XDA. Its not an app but computer software. I would try unrooting first, accepting the update, then try z4root or use superoneclick.
    Good luck
  3. dbst

dbst Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually this isn't the right place :tongue: A mod will probably move you to the right section soon :)
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Yes, wanting to find out about hacking information isn't exactly potential news. Let's try it over here.
  5. IanG

IanG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Bump, I am also in the same boat and rooted with SBF Recovery.

What do we do? Will we need to unroot our phones, install the update, and then re-root? If so, how do we do this?

Thanks!
  6. jeffe65

jeffe65 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If you're using a custom recovery tool like SPRecovery or Clockwork, they should block the update if you accept it. Of you don't have one, the update will break root and you can always re-root using one of the methods on this forum; this one will work: Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version and it will install SPRecovery if you do the whole process. Then you won't have to worry about breaking root again.

If you want to try and install the update without breaking root, you can try this method: Installing FRG83D on a Motocache1 rooted Droid

I wasn't able to because my ROM has been modified too much; if you're using a more-or-less stock version of FRG22D, you should be okay.

Your other choice would be to start from root, use a recovery image like above, and then flash a rooted version of FRG83D. You'll have to wipe everything and re-load your apps like with any other ROM, but it's up to you which method you want to try.
  7. IanG

IanG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Page not found for your link.

Is there any way to simply unroot, install update, and re-root again?
  8. jeffe65

jeffe65 Member

Ratings:
    +1
  9. jeffe65

jeffe65 Member

Ratings:
    +1
  10. FingersXG

FingersXG Member

Ratings:
    +0

I am also in the same boat.

Rooted Droid 1 running Froyo with SPRecovery...only added ChevyNo1's med voltage 1.1 kernel.

Is there a reliable rooted version of FRG83D available yet?

If not what are the other options?

Thanks in advance.
  11. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ratings:
    +6
    Accept and install the update, reroot using link two in my sig, or install metiCkOne's FRG83D rooted stock from DF. There's also one up on Peter Alphonso's website. I'm sure there are others floating around as well.
  12. jeffe65

jeffe65 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    For a rooted, stock version try this link: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/metickone/104030-rooted-stock-odexed-deodexed-frg83d.html

For a ROM with most of the bloatware removed, try this: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/metickone/104654-beta-metickmod-frg83d-froyo-2-2-1-a.html

You can search through the other custom ROM threads on this forum; metiCkOne does a great job with these, and is receptive to changes and/or problems if you run into any.
Search tags for this page

upgrade android os on rooted machine