Rooted but FRK76 sitting there...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by DoctorDeDroid, Dec 11, 2011.

1. DoctorDeDroid

DoctorDeDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My OG Droid has been rooted for some time now, but I rooted after the FRG83G update because I was expecting the end of the line for D1 updates. This means that FRK76 is the first time I got an update in my post rooted era. I rooted by the MotoCache method and have recently switched to RZ Recovery which thankfully blocks the update. I assume I can install the update with RZR... and expect to lose root. I'm expecting this to even go so far as restoring the original recovery. My question is: am I entirely at square one once the update is applied or can I somehow preserve RZ Recovery and just reapply the MotoCache update.zip and retain root? If someone has a pointer of a good discussion on the matter, i.e. how to do this right or a good explanation otherwise I'd love to read it. My searches so far have not been clever enough to find it.

2. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +287
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 3
    If you do accept the update you will lose root and RZR. You would have to root again and the same method should work just fine. A warning though, if you deleted or modified anything after rooting it is likely the update will error out and not install.

3. DoctorDeDroid

DoctorDeDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! I did take a few things off but I used titanium backup to do it so I'm hoping for no trouble (I hope!) if I restore them first.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

4. JSM9872

Ratings:
    +287
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 3
    It may work if you restore them like that. If it doesn't work you more than likely will have to SBF your phone back to stock though and then proceed with the update. But at that point you would have to decide if it is worth it. The update was only for 2 security fixes.

5. DoctorDeDroid

DoctorDeDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I was thinking about sbfing to get back to stock... another thread is implying that is the only way to get a really clean set up so that you can flash a rom such as 1 of the gpa builds... I'm not quite ready to do that... however if this doesn't work then I will be more likely to do it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

6. JSM9872

Ratings:
    +287
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy Note 3
    It is nice to have a clean slate every once and a while. I do it periodically with my DX to keep it running top.

Search tags for this page
backup assistance for frk76
droid frk76

frk76

frk76 droid update