Rooted and want to install a ROM but confused how

Tyrell

Reaction score
I have a Droid 2 running version 2.3.20. I successfully rooted using dorootv3.sh from this thread Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac - xda-developers.

I want to install the Liberty ROM (not Gingerbread version) but i'm not sure where to start?? I'm new to all of this.

So far I've downloaded Titanium Backup (free) and made a backup of my apps and data. It appears I also need to download "ROM Manager" and "Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap?" I think ROM Manager (paid) can create a Nandroid backup which backs-up everything Ti Backup does and more (basically a complete backup of your phone) so why do I need Ti Backup?

Has anyone written up a nice step-by-step on what apps to download and steps to follow to create a backup and flash a new ROM (specifically Liberty)? I've seen a few YouTube vids but they always throw around a bunch of terms I'm not familiar with since I'm new to the game. Also not sure sure how out-of-date the info is.

Thanks for your help! So confused....

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK I got you. Don't need rom manager. Just d2 bootstraper to install liberty. So go to the liberty 2.0.1 thread and dl the file to your sd (make sure you put it in a place you can easily find it). Now, open up bootstraper and hit bootstrap recovery, then reboot recovery. It will boot you into clockwork recovery. It may look intimidating, but soon enough this screen will become your best friend. Use the volume buttons to scroll down to backup/restore and use the camera button to enter. Now click, backup. It will backup your entire phone. After its finished, use the power button to go backwards a screen. Go to wipe data/factory reset. Wipe that baby. Don't let that scare you. Now, I usually go to mounts/storage and mount system and data but it's not necessary. Do it if you like. Now, go to install zip from sd and find the liberty file you downloaded. Install! Then reboot system now. You should be golden. If you don't feel totally comfortable, pm me your number and ill call you and walk you through it. Someone helped me when I was in the same spot as you!

Personally, i would go for gingerbread. Its way better. I understand though if you want to try the froyo ver
Hi my name is Domenic and im a DroidForums addict

Last edited:

nova.ace47

Reaction score
ldopa, dude plus one million to you. It's refreshing to see someone so helpful on forums for a change.

Rockin' The OG on Liquid GB

OP
T

Tyrell

Reaction score
Awesome instructions, man! Thanks for the clarity. Gonna go get the Liberty file and bootstrapper now...

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank you Nova. Tyrell, let me know if you have any more questions. I sent you a pm with my number earlier

OP
T

Tyrell

Reaction score
Ugh....I'm feeling pretty ...oh, what's the term..."special" right now. I can't for the life of me find Liberty 2.0.1! Seems like it would be in a sticky or easily searched out using "Liberty 2.0.1" but no luck.

...and I've been doing some reading. How do I make/find a SBF file to revert back to in case I royally hose this up and need to start back from scratch?

Sorry for so many Q's...dam newbs.

OP
T

Tyrell

Reaction score
Ha! Found it! Downloading now. What an exciting Friday night...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Alright so now that you dl it, put it on the root of the sd card. Bootstraper, bootstrap recovery, reboot recovery.
In clockwork, make a backup (if you haven't done so already.
After, wipe data
Mount system and data
Install zip from sd (liberty 2.0.1)
Reboot system now

wyld

Reaction score
Wow atleast I know who im gonna get ahold of when I finally get root back on my DX and wanna start installing a rom! Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
T

Tyrell

Reaction score
OK - I've got Liberty loaded but of course the phone is wiped. How do I reload all my apps, contacts, data, etc.?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Titanium backup batch restore.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow atleast I know who im gonna get ahold of when I finally get root back on my DX and wanna start installing a rom! Lol

Haha. What are you doing on stock? Did you take the ota?

wyld

Reaction score

Haha. What are you doing on stock? Did you take the ota?

The Droid x they sent me came with gingerbread preinstaled still waiting for root tho! Lol I could just sbf back to Froyo reroot and then install the 2 part rooted gingerbread but that seems like alot of work? But it might good practice for me if I wanna get into roms? Lol

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Absolutely! I would totally jump on that. Lot of cool roms for the dx Liberty gb is getting better and better. Let me know if you decide to do it

wyld

Reaction score
A little confused on one thing tho. The 2 part file instructions say install both files before leaving recovery