Rooted and stuck at M when trying to boot into recovery

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dlwhtrose, May 27, 2010.

1. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay I really need some help here. I am trying to root my husbands replacement Droid. I get it rooted, have superuser permission and at that point can boot into recovery. But, once I download ROM Manager I can't boot into recovery again. It stops at the M and sits there until I do a battery pull. I've tried everything I can think of and no matter what once Rom manager is installed the phone won't boot into recovery from Rom manager or by me holding the x while powering up.

I have not seen this before. My Droid is rooted and I rooted his first Droid both successfully.

I have even put it back to stock to see if I missed something and the same thing happens. I finally had to put it back to stock so he could go to work.

Anyone have any suggestions or seen this???

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. gnome_sayin

gnome_sayin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having the same problem.. although I have been rooted for a while now. I have been using bugless beast 1.0 and tried to install 1.1 and cannot get the phone to boot into recovery mode.. it just hangs at the M logo.

I am using ROM manager.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3. dlwhtrose

Ratings:
    +1
    I finally got mine working (some) last night. The one thing I was forgetting to do is clear the download cache. Once I did that I was able to boot into recovery and do whatever I wanted. I am still having troubles getting ROM Manager to install anything through the "download" option. But if I choose to install from sd card it works like a charm.

So go into ROM Manager, hit the menu button, then clear download cache. That should clear up the problem for you, it did me.

4. brando56894

brando56894 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to suggest trying to flash clockwork recovery again, what problems are you having with the OTA installs? I was having a problem with it last night where it would download the rom and necessary files, pop up the backup and wipe menu, but wouldnt reboot. The SU prompt popped up and I allowed it but it still wouldnt reboot, I had to exit out and do it again then it rebooted and worked perfectly.

5. dlwhtrose

Ratings:
    +1
    I was having the same problems initially. I was trying to root my husbands droid and would get it rooted and was flashing a rom but it would never boot into recovery to install it would just sit at the M until I had to do a battery pull. I couldn't even boot into recovery on my own. It was frustrating. Once I remembered to clear the download cache in ROM Manager it started working just fine. Now I am having troubles getting ROM Manager to install downloads that are in ROM Manager, it will go through its thing and then say aborted file bad. So I install the zip that I want onto the sd card then use ROM Manager to install from sd card. No prob. I just remember to clear the download cache frequently and I do not have any troubles. I got my hubby's phone rooted, running Red Rum with his custom Alabama live wall paper. He is a very happy boy!!!

6. KeekeSONS

KeekeSONS New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    answer

Hey guys, just thought I'd try to put in some of my input.
    I recently used ROM Manager to DL cyanogen Mod and everything worked fine. I had to reboot my Droid and I couldnt get passed the Motorola logo..
    Like anyone else I went back into recovery and tried to restore but I continued to get stuck. I also did a factory reset and nothing happened. Luckily I also did a cache reset and then did a nandroid restore and it worked!
    Hope this helps you guys.
    Looks like the clear cache worked.

7. arlomason

arlomason New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having the same issue. My phone seems to be stuck in a constant state of "sync" and I can't boot into recovery. I've been rooted for quite a while now and change roms all the time and never have problems. I've cleared the cache in Rom Manager and tried to reboot, but all that happens is the Motorola logo repeats itself over and over. when I release the "x" button, my phone will boot normally. Any suggestions?

This started happening last night when Rom Manager updated itself.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  8. titanfan1017

titanfan1017 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had this issue last night... well all day yesterday I messed with it. Had to do a nandroid backup and install rom from SD card. At first I couldnt get past the "M" logo but was told on here to restart holding power+up on directional pad to get to bootloader. then I was able to do a backup. hope this helps. I still think OTA on Rom Manager is messed up will just do it the old fashioned way its way safer and faster for me lol