Rooted 2.1 -> OTA Stock 2.2 -> Lost Root BUT STILL HAVE Superuser Permissions Icon?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by wem, Aug 11, 2010.

1. wem

wem New Member

Rooted 2.1 -> OTA Stock 2.2 -> Lost Root (Still have Superuser Ninja) -> HOW TO ROOT?

Hello, I have been searching for a similar person with this problem, but haven't turned up anything. Here is the scenario:

Motorola Droid - Original

1. Rooted 2.1
    2. OTA Stock Update to 2.2
    3. Seem to have lost root, HOWEVER - I still have the Superuser Permissions Icon.

I use Barnacle for WiFi Tether - I get a "Permission Denied" error when I try to start the app.

I also went into the terminal emulator and tried an "su" which also gave a permission denied response. I tried "sudo" and also got permission denied response.

How do I proceed in rooting in this scenario?

Thank you so much for helping!
  2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

How did you root in the first place....
  3. wem

wem New Member

I am pretty sure that I rooted this phone using a pre-rooted update.zip that was posted months ago on the site alldroid.org, which is now gone. Since it is gone, I am having trouble finding the exact instructions I used.
  4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Yeah this happens if you install an official update apparently. This is one of the many reasons it is recommended to go back to stock before updating. I am not too sure if other apps, maybe themed ones, that got stuck into the system partition make the transfer as well. But the ninja icon persists. I wouldn't be extremely surprised if this was a loophole Verizon left in.

Ironically the only way to get rid of the superuser app is to have root permissions.

Your phone should be fine though, and function as a normal unrooted device. You could hide it from your app drawer if you use LauncherPro, some of the other home replacements may offer that as well.
  5. wem

wem New Member

Thank you for replying! So how do I go about rooting in this case?

Easy Root does not work, because it thinks I am already rooted. Unrooting with that app does not work.
  6. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

I assume Easyroot is failing because it sees the Superuser Permissions app and thinks it is rooted. And fails to unroot, because the phone is already unrooted.

At this point, the only thing I can think of is to use RSDLite to flash back to 2.1 or 2.01 then rooting it from there. Or if you wanted to go stock 2.2 (without the su this time, haha) you could just let it update manually again. Unfortunately this means settings are going to get deleted in the process. Your contacts, calendar, and apps sync with your gmail account.

There should be quite a few threads on how to do that floating around these forums, I am on my phone so I can't link you.
  7. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

The reason why this happens is that the update doesn't wipe the system partition, it simply replaces the files that are actually updated. It doesn't touch the unchanged files, and it doesn't delete apps such as Superuser.apk that it doesn't expect to be there in the first place. However, since the app is a system app and you no longer have root permissions, it gets 'stuck' in there, just like the stock apps that you cannot delete without root privelages.
  8. wem

wem New Member

I appreciate everyone's input!

Some Questions:

1. Which instructions would be best to follow to flash back to a previous version?

2. Which version is best to flash back to? 2.0.1? 2.1?

3. Has anyone else faced these circumstances (2.1 root -> OTA 2.2 -> Lost Root/Ninja Icon Remained) and found the easiest way to root?
  9. marcogiudice

marcogiudice New Member

dude ur problem is real simple to take care of... d/l rsd lite and flash back to 2.1 then flash the 2.1 recovery sbf file and then you'll have SPRecovery on your phone, then you just flash an old nandroid back up or a new rom to give you su aka superuser back .. and then your done.. real simple heres a link to all the sbf file youll need http://www.peteralfonso.com/p/downloads.html

****edit he took off the ese81.sbf file aka 2.1
    so do the ese56.sbf file aka 2.01 and do the ota update to 2.1 and then do the ese81 sprecovery sbf file for a custom recovery and then flash a rom or just install su manually heres the new su 2.3 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=682828

*****EDIT NUMBER 2 LOL.... EASIEST WAY OK USING RSD LITE 4.6 REFLASH THE 2.0.1 ESE56 .SBF AND THEN D/L THIS FILE http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8290115/2.0.1-root-update.zip AND RENAME TO UPDATE.ZIP AND REBOOT INTO STOCK RECOVERY AND APPLY THE UPDATE.ZIP... ITS A ALL IN ONE ROOT FOR 2.01 WITH FLASH IMAGE AND RECOVERY WITH SUPERUSER THEN JUST FLASH A 2.2 ROM OF CHOICE AND YOUR BACK IN BUSINESS... OK HOPE THAT HELPS I WENT LOOKING DEEP TO HELP YOU OUT HERE!!!!!!! HERES HOW A HOW TO USE RED LITE AND ALL http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html
  10. cdotts

cdotts New Member

ok this might be a total n00b question but here goes...

I updated to 2.1 manually using an update.zip, not sure if it was rooted but alot of the apps that require you to be rooted dont work so im assuming no, and i want to know if i will get the OTA update to 2.2? I havent received it yet and just wondering if i will get the OTA update or if i will have to manually update to 2.2
  11. debdado

debdado New Member

I am thankful to see this post, as I have the same phone issue as wern. I am very interested in knowing how to correct this issue. The post by marcogiudice is confusing to me due to my relative noob status. Could someone explain the process a little simpler? Thanks. If you understood it wern, and did the process, maybe you could shed some light to my darkness. Thanks.:icon_eek:
  12. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

Her is a pretty straight forward guide to rooting

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html
Search tags for this page
how to delete shuame and dont loose root
lost root on phone but have superuser permissions
lost super user app but still rooted what do i do

lost superuser permissions

roor permission not given or superuser missing reason
root permissions appear to be lost note 2
rooted without having permission
superuser permission denied lost root
superuser permissions version 2.1
verizon s3 lost superuser permission