1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Rooted 2.1 getting 2.1 OTA Notification

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by idinostar, Apr 4, 2010.

1. idinostar

idinostar New Member

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is normal but I'm still receiving the OTA notification despite upgrading from 2.0.1 to rooted 2.1. Is anyone else having this problem or did I screw up my rooting somewhere?
  2. vrdubin6

vrdubin6 New Member

Yeah.. quite a few people are reporting this.

Put the following .zip in your system/etc/security folder and rename it otacerts.zip.bak and you shouldnt have the issue anymore.

Attached Files:

3. idinostar

idinostar New Member

Thanks for the prompt reply vrdubin6!
  4. xcalibur

xcalibur New Member

hmm...I could've swear my droid is rooted and i even have the little super ninja thing. It says it's 2.1 but I downloaded the file but can't seem to move it into the security directory. I also tried using astro and going to the security directory to directly rename but I'm getting "insufficent permission" and can't rename it to .bak...did I do something wrong?
  5. mlposer

mlposer New Member

OTA update on rooted 2.01

Question...

I just performed the official OTA on the Droid for 2.1. The Droid was rooted but I had not yet made any other modifications. I assume that it no longer rooted but why do I still see the super user app in the app menu?

Thanks
  6. Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0 New Member

cant find system folder!? Help?
  7. Phillipsave

Phillipsave Member

At least for DroidMod rooted phones, click yes on the 2.1 update, but it will not be loaded, you will be switched into Recovery, where you can Reboot your phone. Droidmod will update incorporating 2.1 features later.
  8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

That app is just the frontend display. It shows a list of programs that have been granted su access, and pops up the dialog asking for permission. That won't be uninstalled, but the underlying "su" binary that is needed to make it work will be replaced/removed.
  9. mlposer

mlposer New Member

2.01 rooted OTA

So can I just delete the app?

Thanks
  10. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Well... you can, but ironically, you will need root access to do that, since it is stored in /system/app.
  11. xcalibur

xcalibur New Member

"cant find system folder!? Help? "

I mean to hit the quote while replying..lol
    i may be wrong,..but if you have astro file manager....at the top of the screen you should see Home, Up, Multi, Edit..etc. Hit the "Up" icon to go up a directory and you'll see the system and other fiiles that I as a clueless newbie wouldn't touch. Just pick the "sdcard" folder to go back down to where you usually would be..
  12. xcalibur

xcalibur New Member

I'm 100% my droid is rooted, and I have the app frontend display thing, but have no programs in there listed at all. Are there specific apps that will populate that list automagically once installed?
  13. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

When you type "su" or run a program that requires root access, you will see a popup dialog asking if you authorize that program to have root access. If you select "remember" or "always" (I forget exactly what it says), that application will show up in the application list in the superuser app.
  14. madspeed

madspeed New Member

I can't seem to move the .bak. I am rooted, in the same situation as above, I open the superninja and there's nothing listed in there. What do I need to dao?
  15. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Run an application that requires root and it will pop up askiing for root access. To test this, open up terminal emulator and type "su". Once you hit accept, you should see it in the ninja application.
  16. meishkov

meishkov New Member

Yea I tried doing the system update, it downloaded, then just says requires a restart, there's no install or anything. Anyways for that otacerts.zip I noticed that there's already a otacerts.bak already in the system/etc/security folder. So I want to rename the downloaded .zip file to otacerts.zip.bak but wouldn't I want to rename it to .bak to overwrite the one that's already there?
  17. BamaFan13

BamaFan13 New Member

so once u download this, rename it, and move it to that folder, do u try downloading the update or what? what makes it go away?
Search tags for this page

cant rename xbin