Root?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Scouser, May 31, 2010.

1. Scouser

Scouser Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my Droid yesterday. I was wondering whether I should root or not? I really don't want to void my warranty, so if I do indeed root, would there be a way to unroot? I used to have a Storm and put a bunch of leak and hybrid OSs on it without bricking it. Would rooting be worth it?

I'd really like some insight as to whether I should root so soon and do it safely and whether I can unroot it safely in order to return it if I want to.

2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7+ 256gb
    Depends on what you want if root is worth it to you.....

I suggest doing some reading and research.

3. Scouser

Scouser Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I want full control over my phone. I despise the fact that Verizon can push whatever it wants onto my phone. Plus, I'd like to be able to get themes and stuff, and have the phone be faster and free from those terrible pre-installed apps.

4. warrior21

warrior21 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would wait until you've read up on it and get used to the stock droid. Give it a couple of weeks and if you still want to root, go for it.

5. jimmyg

jimmyg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    it's easy to unroot, just make sure you make a back up! I don't think i'll ever go back tho :icon_ banana:

6. BKS

BKS Member

Ratings:
    +0
    jimmy...your screen shots are redonkulous looking! I wish I could get my Droid set-up like that :hail::hail::hail:

7. jerz_droid

jerz_droid New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Let me ease your mind a little bit. Yea rooting your Droid "voids" the warranty. BUT I work as a technician for Verizon in store and we have never received any training or any kind of insight about this particular issue. I have rooted and bricked my phone once before. I brought it in and simply said it doesn't work
    I can't call yada yada. We don't know the difference. You'll be fine. And if you do root. You can always unroot
    Hope that helps a little. I'd say do it

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. jatx2wne

jatx2wne Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Going by the things you said you want out of your phone I would say to root, its not a hard process as long as you dont mind reading a little. Also as had been said if for some reason you need or want to you can unroot. I just recently unrooted mine in order to bring it to the store and get a replacement. I personally would never go back to an unrooted droid for a reason other than that.

9. Scouser

Scouser Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alright, if anyone's ever put hybrid or leaked OSs on a BB, are they similar? I'm just worried as hell about bricking it.

#9 Scouser, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  10. xXbrick84Xx

xXbrick84Xx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dude I just rooted my Droid like a week ago, and it is so worth it. I'm pretty positive only like 2 people in the history of mankind have bricked there phones when they rooted. I used the flash sbf recovery method to root 2.1. I'm never going back there is so many features and uses. I have no experience with Crack Berry's or anything like that, but all I know is, READ and RESEARCH before you root, and if you like what it has to offer, do it. I was scared as hell first too and it took me almost a month before I finally decided to do it, but it was a piece of cake, and totally worth it.

11. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +33
    Been on this forum for a long while and I can say that I have not heard of anyone honestly bricking their phones.

But, I would suggest to the OP that you do your homework. Do a lot of reading and make sure that rooting is for you and that it is going to give you the outcome you are looking for. Rooting is not for everyone and I really believe that you should read all you can before doing so. I studied and thought about rooting for 2-3 months before doing it. So I was well informed of the issues, the possible glitches, etc before making the jump. Also, learn about your Droid before messing with it. The Droids are fantastic machines and can do so much in their stock form.

That is my opinion..........

12. mike919

mike919 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ya i would haave to agree will all of the above. if you have an SBF file of 2.0.1 or the recovery SBF file its basically near IMPOSSIBLE to brick a Droid phone. My daughter even ripped my USB out of my PC as it was being flashed back to 2.0.1 stock had all kinds of errors on the bootloader screen. Had to flash it 4 times in a row, but eventually worked and still does. as long as you can hold up on your D pad when powering up and you see 'OK to program' you will never have a bricked phone. especially with the resources on this site.

but reading is key... with all the applications coming out in the market.. there are many ways to theme your phone the way you want... but i do have to say... I'll never operate stock again :)

#12 mike919, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010