Root

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by i own a droid, Apr 4, 2010.

1. i own a droid

i own a droid New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHEN PEOPLE SAY THEY HAVE ROOTED THEIR DROID...IS THAT SOMETHING THAT US DROID user have to do ?

2. kennyg23

kennyg23 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty much root gives you access to the root (main) folder on the phone. This allows you to install apps and make changes that you would otherwise not be able to do. Rooting your phone is completely up to you and their are quite a few apps that will not only root your phone for you, but also install some really cool apps that you cannot get without rooting and knowing linux commands.

3. TheFloridaDude

TheFloridaDude New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That is about as clear as mud - I think I need to read up on this monster before I screw it up.

WARNING: DROID ownership may cause some individuals to feel more important than they are!

4. i own a droid

i own a droid New Member

Ratings:
    +0

hey what are some really cool apps if the droid is rooted ??? and the dfference cool apps if the fone is not rooted ?

5. qwiksilver711

qwiksilver711 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I rooted for the custom ROMs, that means basically a whole new look on the phone itself, as well as overclocking abilities. with the phone overclocked it runs better when multitasking, and is alot smoother over all. The custom ROM i'm using right now gives me a different color layout, as well as 5 home screens, which I could not live without.
    Smoked Glass
    that is the ROM i'm currently using, if you need help or want some simple instructions on rooting I would do my best to help, shoot a pm to me

6. Diordna

Diordna Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Read. The. Stickys. Before posting. Thank you

7. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Two responses come to mind:

1. You say you own a Droid. You don't own a Droid till it is rooted. Vz owns your Droid before it is rooted.

2. (My wife influenced this response)...once you root...Your Droid Owns YOU! I'm sitting here installing a new kernel as I type this. 7th kernel I have installed today. I can't stop! I am on my third ROM today. I am going to play with some themes as soon as this kernel boots (whoo hoo...it just "droided" me)

Keep it fun and remember to make a back up so you can always get back to where you started. If it feels good...back it up before you move on to the next rom.

Nate (who had to use a restore today too)

8. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

The above link should help, it is one of those sticky topics in the hacking section.
    What can you do?

How about this:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-themes/26538-mm-theme-custom-colored-text.html

or

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...rs-mod-transparent-app-drawer.html#post313642

or

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-themes/34657-buuf-theme-ported-rom-manager-droid.html

or overclocking your CPU to twice the speed it is out of the box?

All of this may or may not interest you. Some enjoy customizing their phone, changing the graphics and making it their own. Others could care less.

all of the above voids your phone's warranty but there also are ways to get it right back to the state it is in right now. As others have said...read, then feel free to ask questions when the water isn't so muddy[​IMG]

9. TheFloridaDude

TheFloridaDude New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I want to enjoy my Motorola Droid experience, but don't want to damage the unit. I am a Broadcast Satellite Engineer (I am uplinking The Shell Houston Open right now) and respect the research that went into the design of the phone / computer. So far, I can't get any work done, exploring all the things that my Blackberry Tour wasn't. What a superior phone the Droid is.

Thanks for taking the time to explain these new things to us new-bees...

10. dmaul3300

dmaul3300 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have read many posts on this sites and other sites about rooting. My question is this - How does a person root their phone if they already have the official 2.1 OTA update from Verizon?

Most of the forums I have read show you how to go from 2.01 to 2.1. I am interested in rooting my phone to:
    overclock my phone (set cpu)
    easy access to clear cache (cache mate)
    remove unwanted programs pre-installed like amazon
    change boot animation at startup
    replace my name where it says verizons name.

I have read posts on many forums and have seen with root access, these can all be done.

Do we have to wait for someone to root the official 2.1 OTA before I root or will I need to uninstall 2.1 (if this is possible and then follow instructions posted online). How would I uninstall 2.1?

11. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
  12. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Either option works. If you're impatient then you have to use Motorola's RSD Lite and an sbf image to set your phone back to the way it was when you took it out of the box. You will have to reactivate the phone. Not a big deal. You don't even have to call Verizon. Just answer some questions and it links up to the network and reinitializes the phone. Then you can root and then install one of the 2.1 ESE56 Roms and have what the OTA 2.1 has plus have root and speed and all sorts of toys.

If your patient...you can wait for the 2.1 ESE83 to be rooted. All the developers have to do is find a way to exploit the system. My thinking is that the original 2.1 ESE56 we got a few weeks ago was Motorola and Verizons way of releasing a 2.1 that was rootable and then they released ESE83 that has a cork in the exploit so it can't be screwed up by non-techies. This way if you root it Vz can say You Own It but they can also let you play with a stable version of 2.1. That's pure speculation on my part. But it sounds good...huh?

Nate