Root

wildbill86

Reaction score
I'm new to androids, so let me get this straight. If I download z4root.zip straight to my phone, I can open run and install straight from my phone without ever hooking it up to a computer?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
wildbill86

wildbill86

Reaction score
When I bought my d2g it came with the the new 2.4.33 kernel. If I sbf back to stock will it go back to the 2.4.29? And is so will my phone download the new software update when back to stock? I feel like a tard for have having all sorts of questions, I just wanna learn. These droid 2 globals have a lot of issues stock and I hear that rooting can resolve them.

silver6054

Reaction score
When I bought my d2g it came with the the new 2.4.33 kernel. If I sbf back to stock will it go back to the 2.4.29? And is so will my phone download the new software update when back to stock? I feel like a tard for have having all sorts of questions, I just wanna learn. These droid 2 globals have a lot of issues stock and I hear that rooting can resolve them.

Yes, when you return to stock, you will be offered the OTA update to 2.4.33
If you kept it as stock (not removed any bloatware for example) installing the update will bring you back to 2.4.33. It's just that only 2.4.29 SBF has been leaked, not the 2.4.33 one

OP
wildbill86

wildbill86

Reaction score
I don't plan on removing the bloatware, as i have read that is bad, I figure i will just freeze them, I havn't decided whether I want to load a rom, like fission. I'm affraid I will brick my brand new phone. however changing some cpu settings for better battery life would be wonderful. Can the stock operating system handle changing these settings, or should I rom?
Also, will all of my normal phone functions still continue to work properly, gps, both radios for foreign countries, etc.....?

silver6054

Reaction score
I don't plan on removing the bloatware, as i have read that is bad, I figure i will just freeze them, I havn't decided whether I want to load a rom, like fission. I'm affraid I will brick my brand new phone. however changing some cpu settings for better battery life would be wonderful. Can the stock operating system handle changing these settings, or should I rom?
Also, will all of my normal phone functions still continue to work properly, gps, both radios for foreign countries, etc.....?
Sorry, by "remove" I was also including freezing, you need to unfreeze before installing the update, then you can freeze them again.

You can underclock/overclock/undervolt etc without using a different ROM, see http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global/140332-droid-2-global-overclock-brief-tutorial.html for example.

Rooting won't impact the other functions you mention. ROMs might of course!

OP
wildbill86

wildbill86

Reaction score
After i root, will i need to make a backup if i don't plan to rom yet, or is rsd lite, and the sbf file all i should need?

OP
wildbill86

wildbill86

Reaction score
I read that I need Motorola's drivers, does that just mean the sbf file?

Ch0s3n0n3

Reaction score
Absolute first priority is make a nandroid backup in bootstrapper

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
wildbill86

wildbill86

Reaction score
I downloaded droid 2 bootstraper. I open and what do I do from there, reboot recovery, or bootsrrap recovery.

OP
wildbill86

wildbill86

Reaction score
ok, i made my nandroid back up, but after the cache backed up, the next like says no sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext. it then generated md5 sum and says backup complete. did i do something wrong?

OP
wildbill86

wildbill86

Reaction score
I also rooted with z4root, so do i need to download busybox?