smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
After some trial & error, root has been obtained for the VZW Galaxy Note 2 - this is just root, the bootloader is still locked...

This is a copy / paste from droidstyle's post on the XDA Forums ( [GUIDE][VZW Edition]How to Root the VZW Galaxy Note II and more! - xda-developers )...

Standard Disclaimer Applies....DroidForums.net, XDADevelopers, nor anyone associated with this method is responsible for any issues that might arise from this method - you are using at your own risk and assuming the liability & that you understand what you are doing.

Section 1: How to Root Stock JellyBean with Odin - VZW Edition only!

Step 1: Download and install these files to your pc:
Odin- http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...2&d=1340993443

Step 2: Download one of the rooted stock odin images below to your pc:
Root66_VZW_stock_VRLJB- Dev-Host - root66_VZW_stock_system.7z - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Step 3: Power device off, hold the volume down/home/power keys until you see a yellow triangle, then press the volume up key to access "odin or download mode".

Step 4: Open odin and connect the oem usb cable from pc to device. Adb driver should automatically install(atleast it did for me on windows 7). There should be a "comport number" in upper left hand corner of odin indicating communication between the pc & device.

Step 5: Uncheck Auto reboot

Step 6: Click on the PDA function of odin. Select the rooted system.img you downloaded in step 2, then select start. This operation should take less than 8 minutes before odin will say pass/reset.

Step 7: Pull and reinstall battery.

Step 8: Press and hold the volume up/home/power buttons until you see a green android. You should boot into ASR(Android Stock Recovery)

Step 9: Wipe cache.(If you experience errors, boot back into ASR and wipe data.)

Step 10 reboot!

*Everything is working folks!! We now have a solid root method!!!

Credit goes to MrRobinson and Beanstown101!!

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add that Busybox needs to be downloaded separately. I just rooted my Note 2 this morning. Everything is A-OK!

OP
smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Just wanted to add that Busybox needs to be downloaded separately. I just rooted my Note 2 this morning. Everything is A-OK!

Will you be writing up any kind of guide or tutorial as well MrSmith?

craig8868

Reaction score
I am going to wait as well. :) I am enjoying my Note 2 so far without having to make many mods yet.

xtor

Reaction score
After some trial & error, root has been obtained for the VZW Galaxy Note 2 - this is just root, the bootloader is still locked...

This is a copy / paste from droidstyle's post on the XDA Forums ( [GUIDE][VZW Edition]How to Root the VZW Galaxy Note II and more! - xda-developers )...

Standard Disclaimer Applies....DroidForums.net, XDADevelopers, nor anyone associated with this method is responsible for any issues that might arise from this method - you are using at your own risk and assuming the liability & that you understand what you are doing.

Section 1: How to Root Stock JellyBean with Odin - VZW Edition only!

Step 1: Download and install these files to your pc:
Odin- http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...2&d=1340993443

Step 2: Download one of the rooted stock odin images below to your pc:
Root66_VZW_stock_VRLJB- Dev-Host - root66_VZW_stock_system.7z - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Step 3: Power device off, hold the volume down/home/power keys until you see a yellow triangle, then press the volume up key to access "odin or download mode".

Step 4: Open odin and connect the oem usb cable from pc to device. Adb driver should automatically install(atleast it did for me on windows 7). There should be a "comport number" in upper left hand corner of odin indicating communication between the pc & device.

Step 5: Uncheck Auto reboot

Step 6: Click on the PDA function of odin. Select the rooted system.img you downloaded in step 2, then select start. This operation should take less than 8 minutes before odin will say pass/reset.

Step 7: Pull and reinstall battery.

Step 8: Press and hold the volume up/home/power buttons until you see a green android. You should boot into ASR(Android Stock Recovery)

Step 9: Wipe cache.(If you experience errors, boot back into ASR and wipe data.)

Step 10 reboot!

*Everything is working folks!! We now have a solid root method!!!

Credit goes to MrRobinson and Beanstown101!!

This is a old thread, has anything changed on rooting a vzw note 2,??

sent from a note yee (2)

xtor

Reaction score

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I watched the video, looks pretty sraight forward, however, I have never rooted before, so what do I do after root?, the end of the video shows a screen with boxes, what are they for and how do I set up?, thanks for the help in advance:)

sent from a note yee (2)

Yup method is not hard ...the most common issue seems to be drivers installing properly from my seeing issues on different forums ..once rooted the first thing I would do is make a backup of stock ..the part you saw at the end was TWRP which is the recovery system it installed ..this is where we can make and restore backups ..flash custom Roms...there is a few twrp videos floating around as well for familiarity ..
Keep us posted and we are here for help along the way

N2 tap'd HD